can anyone help me on my glass gatfish please?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

can anyone help me on my glass gatfish please?

Post by jordan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm

hi there im just woundering if anyone has any glass catfish as i got 3 the other day and thay eat my loatchs food more than flakes i just wanterd to now if its normal for them to eat there food than flakes

starsplitter7

Re: can anyone help me on my glass gatfish please?

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 pm

My glass cats really like meaty foods, so blood worms, carnivorous pellets, shrimp pellets, . . . Mine only eat flake, if there;s nothing else. Really spoil them for the first 6 months. I usually lose them in the first six months. If they make it longer than that, they are set to go. I have six and they all hang out together. I think they might be bug eaters in the wild, but I do not know. Make sure you give them lots of hiding places.

jordan

Post by jordan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

thanks for that info im new at keeping glass cats lol i do put flakes in to for the other fish and the cats eat them but i was just confuessed lol when thay was at the loatch food it amazed me to be honist as thay picked a full one up and carryd it around lol but them droped it haha bless em thay are eating the flakes now tho instead ofthe loatch food so maybe it was bcouse thay was new i will also try them on meat what meat do you feed them just bloodworm?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Mine try to eat the carnivorous pellets by hikari and shrimp pellets. They will eat repashy and they eat brine shrimp, mysis shrimp. Lots of plants in the tank make them feel beeter. I have had them all over a year, and they are often the first ones to swim to the top of the tank to get new food being dropped in.

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:09 am

that exsplains why the live plant i have looks like its been shredderd in some placers looooool i will have to buy some blood worm and that im just feeding them on flakes at the momment i put some bannan for the corys but all the other fish eat it instead lol! the corys didnt look once i dont think cheeky buggas

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:47 am

The glass cats didn't eat your plants. They eat meaty foods. They hide in the plants. I have jungle val for mine.

My copies will eat algae wafers, but they prefer meaty foods. Who esle do you have in the tank with the glass cats and cories?

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:30 pm

The fish do not know that you put certain foods in for certain fish.
If it smells or tastes right, they will eat it.

Offer a good assortment of foods so that all the fish have the chance at a good diet. Some fish will eat certain foods and turn up their fishy little noses at other things. That is OK, fish do not need to eat every day.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!