wanting to get a male betta but need help first ?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

wanting to get a male betta but need help first ?

Post by jordan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 am

hi all iv jut got a female betta thether day for my tank witch has in

two garamies no sure of the types but here like pearl ones but there not pear one lol
dawarf powder garmaie
3 glass cat fish
3 corys
clown loatch
4 neon tetras

im just wanting to know would it be ok to put a male betta in there as i know thay like to fight with others of there own kind but not shure if thay will fight with the ones that have coul anyon tell me please?

Jules

Re: wanting to get a male betta but need help first ?

Post by Jules » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:54 pm

If you already have a existing female Betta and by adding a male, it is highly likely that the male will harrass the female to death. Females and male Bettas are only usually put together for breeding purposes. It is not usual for a lone female and a male to be kept together on a permanent basis for this reason. If you have a higher ratio of females to one lone male, then this may fare better, but in a species only tank.

Bettas are quite individual fish; some have success in keeping them in a community tank but from personal experience, I usually find it best to keep a male Betta alone. My Crowntail is quite content with some Nerite snails and will often flare at them but that's it. Constantly building bubble nests and a very engaging little fish.

Hope this helps.

Jules

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:21 am

thanks jules i wont bother getting a male then if its goin to just always be at her i dont want her getting stressed as she seems fairly peacefull in tank with my other fishes she does do her own thing tho lol my dawf powder garamie seems to have tuck to her tbh he dont like any of the other fish ner his little bits at the top or at the bottom but he lets her go in his places lol witch i like as he normal chases my other garmies and other fish off maybe its becouse shes small so he dont feel he has to be dominating lol thanks again anyways for your help

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 pm

What size tank is this?

Female Betta- Some are almost as pushy as the males, but most are OK in a community tank. Do not put them in the same tank with male Bettas.
two garamies no sure of the types but here like pearl ones but there not pear one lol
Gouramis are similar to Bettas: They are aggressive and territorial. Pearl Gouramis are generally more peaceful than most, but I would be careful what else is in the tank with them.
dawarf powder garmaie- Dwarf Gouramis (any color) are one of the more aggressive Gouramis. Do not keep them with other Gouramis, Bettas, Paradise fish or other top-tank dwelling fish.
3 glass cat fish- Social fish. Get more, if the tank is big enough.
3 corys- Social fish, get more, if the tank is big enough.
clown loatch- Clown Loaches are social, and get quite large. I have my larger ones in a 125 gallon tank, and some youngsters (about 3" long) in a 75 gallon tank.
4 neon tetras - Schooling fish, get more, if the tank is big enough.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!