Which Stiphodon this might be?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

EdwardN

Which Stiphodon this might be?

Post by EdwardN » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

On Aquabid there are Stiphodons for sale. They are advertised as "Elegant algae eating Gobies", suggesting that they are Stiphodon elegans?

Are they really - can anybody ascertain that, please.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1336408252

Thanks!

plaalye

Re: Which Stiphodon this might be?

Post by plaalye » Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

There is no definitive answer. They are what are often sold as "rainbow"sp.

EdwardN

Post by EdwardN » Thu May 03, 2012 11:32 am

[quote="plaalye"]There is no definitive answer. They are what are often sold as "rainbow"sp.[/quote]

Thanks, plaalye. The 'rainbows' I have are notorious for walking out of the tank , so I extended the inner rim of the tank to possibly avoid further losses. They also look quite different, but this could be due to their 'mood'.

Could this be that there are more than one unclassified 'rainbow' ?

Any second opinions, please?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

I suspect that there are at least 2 different sp. sold in this category, could be 3 or 4 ???

Here's a long thread on the subject. Also have a look through the knowledge base.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/fre ... hodon-spp/

EdwardN

Post by EdwardN » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

[quote="plaalye"]I suspect that there are at least 2 different sp. sold in this category, could be 3 or 4 ???

Here's a long thread on the subject. Also have a look through the knowledge base.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/fre ... hodon-spp/[/qute/

Thanks again, plaalye.

Now I understand the confusion and the desperate longings for clarification as far as Stiphodon 'rainbows' are concerned.

By the way - today, with feeding Daphnia to all my fishes, I observed how awkwardly was Stiphodon trying to catch a mosquito larva. The movement of the larvae was very exciting to some of them, but ...no cigar!

EdwardN

Post by EdwardN » Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am

So I bought those Stiphodons. Definitely from the 'Rainbow' group, but they are entirely different from what was available around here - they have a slightly bluish hue when 'at peace'. The pic from AquaBid is showing either stressed fish ("out of the bag"), or of a different Stiphopdon.

As expected, this fish took to Daphnia and algae-meat waffers as if they were eating them all their life...