Gastromyzon ID / Stiphodon compatibility

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ollyj

Gastromyzon ID / Stiphodon compatibility

Post by ollyj » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 am

Hi all!
This is my 55 gal river tank. Looking to ID the below pictured Gastromyzon I purchased.
Manifold w/ 2 Maxi Jet 900s w/ aerator, Marineland C-220 Multi Stage Canister Filter. Approximately 680 GPH. I would have liked the jets to be pushing a bit more but hopefully it is enough.
Sand and pea pebble substrate, will be adding flourite when I add the plants.

Currently stocked:
1-Knight Goby (unsure if I will keep him, depending on compatibility with the stiphodons)
1-long fin zebra danio (would like to have 8 at least)
2-Red Phantom Tetras
4- Gastromyzon (possibly Ctenocephalus and another kind)
1-Hillstream (the pet store called him a hillstream loach but he doesn’t look like a loach)

I'd appreciate any help in IDing the different Gastromyzon that I have.

1)The dark ones have a blueish on their tails. (Ctenocephalus?)

2)The lighter ones don't have any blue on their tails.
3) The store said this was a hillstream…]

Also, just looking for suggestions on how many of each species will work in my 55 river gallon tank. Really want as many stiphodons as I can get.
Would like pairs of or more if possible of each:
Stiphodon percnopterygionus
Stiphodon ST01 / S. sp orange fin
Stiphodon atropurpureus

Really want a few hillstream loaches (sewellia lineolatas) as well, but may not have room.
Any recommendations appreciated. I will be adding a lot more rocks, plants and driftwood to make as much areas for everyone as I can + LED lights to grow some nice plants and algae... trying to find a good one online still Marineland wants like $400 for their plant LEDs

Thanks.
-oLLyj

shuwae

Re: Gastromyzon ID / Stiphodon compatibility

Post by shuwae » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm not sure how compatible the knight goby will be with the stiphodons but will try to answer your other questions.

1) It looks like G. ctenocephalus but may be G. scitulus as the picture is not too clear. Can you get a picture of it from the top?
2) I'm guessing G. stellatus as I have a gastromyzon like this one and it was ID as stellatus.
3) It is a G. ocellatus.

My LFS sells the gastromyzons as "hillstream loach" or "river loach" as batches of gastromyzon always come in mixed with different gastromyzons. When I had S. percnoterygionus, the males were territoral and the dominant male chased the other males and females in the tank so make sure not to get too many males. Make sure you get true S. atropurpureus as I have seen misleabled stiphodons ID as atropurpureus. I would say two pairs of each stiphodon is good for your tank. Just make sure to have plenty of algae for all the fish and feed food they will eat. I find that the stiphodons and sewellias prefer to rummage on plants (with broad leaves) more than rocks. The gastromyzons are the ones that are always on the rocks or tank sides. You can add more danios but may have a problem with the tetras as they may prefer slower moving water.

Good luck on your tank and nice seeing another hillstream tank!

ollyj

Post by ollyj » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully i'll be able to identify them in the store to get even amounts of them all.. will be adding a lot more plants and some algae recipes until I get my lights..

Here is the best pic.I can get of the the darker gastro that I have... the 2 smaller look like the larger that I have with the blue on the tail...

-oLLyj

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 am

IMO 1 & 2 are g. zebrinus, 3 is g. ocellatus. I've had problems mixing gastromyzon with the more the aggressive sewellia, although some people seem to have no problems. I'd stay with gastromyzons if it were me. I've not had s. percnopterygionus(unfortunatley) but I do keep s. semoni(sold as s. atropupureus), ST01, and ST02 and I keep them with g. ocellatus and g. zebrinus(the same form as yours). They do very well together. You can keep quite a few in a 55 gal as long as you keep up with your water changes and supply plenty of aufwuchs for them to graze.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 am

Get rid of the Knight Goby. For starters they are brackishwater fish. 2nd he will eat anything he can put in his mouth. I have seen them eat celebes rainbows at night. They will not hesitate to eat any shrimp or fish.