Rehome Giant Gourami

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LeStat

Rehome Giant Gourami

Post by LeStat » Wed May 22, 2013 11:57 am

Hi,

Is there anyone out there with a tank larger than 7ft / 1,000ltr who would like to to take on a Giant Gourami of around 20"? I took this fish on a couple of years back when he was half this size, as someone I bought two Clowns from had him in a 4' tank and I felt bad for him. I am not looking for any money for him, just a permanent home for him to see out his days. I have tried all the public aquaria in the south and am now hoping that someone on here either has a huge tank or knows someone with one...

Any suggestions welcomed too.

Cheers,
AD
250 Gallon, 8 Modesta, 2 Plec, 2 Catfish & a shoal of 17 Clown loach.

Fishwife

Re: Rehome Giant Gourami

Post by Fishwife » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Man I wish you were near me. We're setting up an above ground pool and turning it into a tank and I have wanted an osphronemus for so long. But never had the room. He would love it in this new tank.
http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ .... Don't buy colored or tattooed fish! Let your LFS know you won't stand for it.

Fishwife

Post by Fishwife » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm

One of many reasons I support the big fish campaign. You were good to rescue him.
http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ .... Don't buy colored or tattooed fish! Let your LFS know you won't stand for it.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 am

You might look into Monster Fish Keepers. I have no idea if there are any members in the UK, but they may have a home for him.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Monster fish keepers are know in the US for housing illegal fish in what I think are most improper conditions. Maybe they've got better behavior near you?

Something close to a pond set up might be your best option for him. A big guy like that needs all the space he can get. I planned on doing a summer pond set up for some of my bigger, heartier fish. It can be very pricey to set up and is hard to maintain the conditions you might want compared to what nature wants. Have you tried to contact a zoo with fresh water aquaria? You might even be lucky enough to come across a "big fish collector"

Where are you exactly?
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:49 pm

The location in his listing says Hampshire, England, so I doubt an outdoor pond is going to be the answer, and the first post specifies that he (she?) has already tried the public aquaria in the area.

Whether MFK is doing illegal things or not (and yes, there was quite a flap several years ago) they may still be a useful referral service, if they are active in the UK.

Whatever places you try, also ask, "Well, I understand you can't take him, but do you know of anyone else I could ask?"

If the shops near you (fish or other pets) will allow, post a notice.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mariasam

Post by mariasam » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 am

How are your plants doing now? I have never been successful with this because my fish would eat the roots. Philodendron does well, you can take cuttings and put them in the water to root them. They were my most successful plant. :P