adapting my filter

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

arny

adapting my filter

Post by arny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi
At the moment I have an external filter that is very effective when running but the problem occurs when I have to clean it. Due to the way it is set up (at least I think this is the reason) I have to prime it manually as in removing the inlet tube and siphoning the water and then putting it back in the tank, I can't just use the priming button as I can't get enough force to pump the water through. This way it can take a lot of time, effort and mess to clean the filter. So I was wondering for the mechanical filtration could I put a sponge filter in the tank and remove the foam pad from the external filter and just use the external filter for biological filtration. Would this work?
Thanks for any advise and I hope that someone understands what I'm trying to say : )

gaiden

Re: adapting my filter

Post by gaiden » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 am

I would imagine that should work fine, as long as the bio load isn't too high. Personally I would invest in a new ehein ecco or similar external filter and run them both. How big is your tank? How many fish? How often do you do water changes?

arny

Post by arny » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:30 am

I just bought a new filter, Eheim Pro 3, to replace my old one an aqua one something that stopped working effectively. My tank, I'm not sure what capacity it is, its 4 foot, I'll see if I can find out. I have about 30 fish most of which are no bigger than an odessa barb. I do water changes weekly probably about 30%. Ammonia & Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates don't go above 20ppm.
Unfortunately the way the tank is set up I'm not sure I have space for another external filter (which sits next to the tank) and there's not much room behind the tank, we had trouble fitting the new filter so that the pipes didn't come above the hood.

arny

Post by arny » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 am

I've worked it out to be 80 gallons

gaiden

Post by gaiden » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 pm

If you can, use some of the media from the old canister so you can save some of the good bacteria, and buy a bacteria starter to ensure a smooth change over from the old filter to the new one. It all sounds good to me so I don't see any issues with what you are doing. Good luck!

arny

Post by arny » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 am

I think I've confused the situation. By just bought I meant a few weeks ago, I don't want to be buying another one so soon after. So the new filter is set up and running, its this one that won't prime just by pumping it. So you think removing the foam pad from the external filter won't damage it in anyway. Thanks

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 pm

The sponge insert (the blue one?) shouldn't be the problem. Did your filter come with the quick disconnects? Are you filling the cannister after cleaning? I try to fill it through the top hose after replacing the top so it's as full as possible. My 2217 usually primes on it's own but occasionally I have had to shake it a bit or give quick suck on the outlet. You shouldn't have to remove the intake.

arny

Post by arny » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Plaalye
I don't think the blue sponge is why I can't prime it but I wondered if I could remove it and just use the external as mechanical filtration so that I can reduce the amount times I have to clean the filter. I think it has quick disconnects if thats where you slide the lever and remove the tubes from the main body. I tried not filling it with water after cleaning as in the manual it says it should be free of water however it didn't work so filled it up to the top and pushed the primer button as fast as I could but it wouldn't force the water so I had to siphon it, I think by doing the same as you (get confused which is the intake and outlet). But we shouldn't have to do that surely? Also by having it so full it overflowed a bit after I got it working again and being next to electrical stuff wasn't great. I'm just dreading each time I have to clean it so wondered if it were a viable option to just use a sponge filter instead of the blue sponge in the external.
I think the whole problem is that the filter is next to the tank and the pipes are at a funny angle as usually you would have the filter underneath the tank with the tubes going straight down which isn't option for us with the tank set up.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:34 am

I think your filter being at the same level as your tank is most of the problem. To start a siphon you want the out let well below the intake. You likely have difficulty when doing water changes also. The blue sponge removes larger debris, the white pad smaller stuff. Putting a sponge filter in the tank might help but won't remove the same amount of material IMO.

bluebird5

Post by bluebird5 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:54 am

I have about 30 fish most of which are no bigger than an odessa barb. I do water changes weekly probably about 30%. Ammonia & Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates don't go above 20ppm.
Get fast success in oracle answers
and ECCOUNCIL exam questions by using our latest exam University of California, Los Angeles .We also offer up-to-date wikipedia and answers for your prep of selftestengine.