Lethargic Black Shark.

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Angry Loach

Lethargic Black Shark.

Post by The Angry Loach » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi guys, long time no talk..err, type. I've got a bit of a question for shark keepers. I bought a large black shark yesterday and he is acting strangely. Black sharks are a relative of the rainbow shark and red fin shark and they're generally active fish, but this guy is lethargic. Where I purchased him is not the most reputable, but it is the only place around where you can get them. I'm not sure of his age, but he is approx four to five inches long, which would mean he is anywhere between two to five years of age depending on aquarium size and food types. I haven't noticed him eating and he's been staying in the same corner of my QT since he came home yesterday. I thought maybe he was cold since he was huddled up by the heater, but when I adjusted the heat up to 78 it didn't make much difference. He's not showing any outward signs of infection or even so much as abrasions on the fins. But, I have noticed he's afraid of everything. I was going to put him in the 55gal for a while before I moved him up to the larger set up I've been working on, but I'm worried to put him in a tank with other small fish that he thinks are going to eat him. He's in a QT right now with a small pictus cat and he swears it's going to kill him. I was wondering if anyone knows a little more than I do about these guys and maybe I'm just missing something? These fish should still be pretty active at this size and shouldn't be terrified of other fish. Sharks are known to be a little territorial and cause a ruckus when somebody gets too close. I'm also wondering if maybe it was due to his prior tank set up. Where I bought him, he was in a small ten gallon tank with a VERY large pleco. I know they can cause some problems as they get larger. I'm not sure how he was housed before he was kept at the fish shop. Most of the fish they carry are fish given up by previous owners who can't house the larger breeds. (Example: oscar the size of my head in a similar tank)

Anyways, fish aren't like cats and don't hold too much info to really care, ect ect. I was wondering if maybe this could be a parasite? He seems to be a pretty thick fish, no signs of malnutrition, colors are slightly faded, however. I have an anti parasitic, but I'd rather not dose him with it and risk getting him sick from that if that isn't what's going on. Any input at this point would be great.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Diana

Re: Lethargic Black Shark.

Post by Diana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:19 pm

I would keep him in the Q-tank, and add some plants or something for him to partially hide among. Not so many that you cannot properly monitor the fish, of course.

Sounds like he has not been exposed to other fish (or has been exposed to a bully) or people walking by the tank or whatever he seems scared of. It will take time for him to get over this. Perhaps keep some food at the tank, and drop in a bit every time you walk by. Not too much, don't overfeed, but something, often enough that he comes to see that 'people = good'

If the shop circulates the water from several tanks through one filter then I would indeed treat for internal parasites.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

The Angry Loach

Re: Lethargic Black Shark.

Post by The Angry Loach » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 am

Well good news and bad news. I gave my large black shark some all-round treatments and he certainly perked up. But I did notice that he was getting along just fine in the dark and messing with his QT mates. I decided that his shyness would do him better in my non-aggressive 30gal with a big ol' goldfish to get him comfy. Well, soon after releasing him from his bag, he chased the big goldfish around trying to nom on his sides. He ended up taking four scales off him in about two hours. I kept hoping he'd calm down, but he wouldn't. So he went straight to my more aggressive 55gal. He went to bothering some fish, but my reliable Chinese algae eater and that clot of a silver loach set him straight. He claimed a place, started eating, and has tried to get along with everyone else. He did eat a platy after his dinner was six hours late. (stuck at work, forced to cover call-off) No matter, really. They're more of a pest.

So all and all, he certainly isn't the sad, scared fish I thought he was, but he got right in line and has assimilated quite nicely.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD