Aquascaping Issues. UPDATE! YAY!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Angry Loach

Aquascaping Issues. UPDATE! YAY!

Post by The Angry Loach » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 pm

So I own many tanks in my house and I've got one issue; Aquascaping. No matter what I buy, how I treat, or how I plant, I can't keep my tank as pretty as I'd like. I have a menagerie of plant nomming critters, but nothing seems to keep them at bay when it comes to plant defense. I've noticed that purple or red plants are usually spared from the chewing, but they're not exactly the easiest to come by and I really hate the look of most false plants. I'm using plant fertilizer for aquariums, but that only does so much against seven clown loaches, five bala sharks, and one massive black shark. I've even given lettuce as an attempt to save the plants, but they'd much rather eat my wisteria. Just two weeks ago, I bought seven "baby" wisteria plants and there's not so much as a shred left to prove they even existed. These guys certainly aren't that hungry and I'd rather not risk over feeding to keep them at bay. Even the fake plants aren't safe from this lot. They pull them all up and push them off to the corners of the tank. I knew clowns like to redecorate a tank, but geeze-um. I can't keep a nice tank with the methods I've tried, so I'm looking for some input. And don't suggest an anubis nana. They don't eat it, sure. But they'll eat whatever has it tethered down. I'm sure some one knows what I mean. Any ideas at this point would be nice. I'm spending WAY too much money to keep ending up with a naked tank.

Got my new plants from Hong Kong, Obviously, a good deal of these are fakes.
Sea of Platys
Borris certainly enjoys
Even my Y. Eos has come out to say hello.
Don't mind the clutter. Looks like it's time to add water again too. Sounds about right, it's been three days.
Last edited by The Angry Loach on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Dojosmama

Re: Aquascaping Issues.

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:01 pm

The only way to have uneaten live plants in an aquarium is to not have any animals in there with them. Or have all carnivorous animals, in which case, they may eat one another. Carnivores will need to be fed the appropriate foods, such as brine shrimp, blood worms and other prey foods. But if you want a nice community tank with unmolested plants, I would go with good quality artificial "silk" plants. Some of the plastic ones look tacky, but many of the better silk plants (which are really polyester and not silk) look perfectly natural and lifelike. The quality is amazing with some of the more expensive ones. You literally cannot tell them apart from the live specimens just by looking at them.

If you want a variety of fish and live plants, you'll have to accept that some of those plants will serve as snacks for your fish. This is actually good for your fish, as it increases the variety and balance of their diets. They aren't all just getting one kind of food that way.

I would also suggest some floating plants that lay on the water's surface. These are attractive as they cascade down into the water, and they provide additional shelter and security for your fish, who can hide in them. They will also help soak up nitrates along with the substrate plants. Fish can nibble on floating hornwort, elodea or anacharis and if you have a large enough clump of it, it will still last a long time, as it grows back fairly rapidly.

Also, try java moss. That can float, too, but beware: Java moss grows and spreads prolifically, and may become a pest after awhile. It will give your fish plenty to nibble on and they might be less inclined to go for your substrate plants.

Life is a trade-off system. You may have to decide what is more important to you -- a lushly planted tank with few or no fish, or a nice balanced variety of aquatic life.

There's one more benefit to having plants that fish eat: When you go on vacation and you aren't sure if the commercial vacation foods are going to be adequate, the plants will help tide the fish over until you return.

Think about all the pros and cons, and go from there.

--Dojosmama

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I wish to add:

If you tie java ferns or anubias nana to rocks or driftwood, I don't see how your fish can eat those bases. The only bottom dwellers that eat wood are certain species of pleco, such as bristlenose. They need to eat wood as part of their diet.

I save the weighted bases that come with my artificial plants. These often have predrilled holes in them that the fake plants were once attached in. Once the fake plants are removed from these weighted bases, I can then feed the roots of Anubias through those holes and into the substrate. The rhizomes, which should never be buried, rest on top of the bases while the roots go into the gravel or other plant medium. There is NO WAY your fish can eat those artificial plant bases. I didn't quite understand what you meant when you said your fish would eat whatever the anubias were tethered to. Unless you attach them to food sources, I would think they would serve no useful purpose as food.

--Dojosmama

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:51 pm

They will chew through string and such. I use un-dyed threads for tethers. I have an Anubis Nana at the top of my drift wood, nestled in a large divot where the stump of the tree used to be, it stays safe for the most part. It serves as a lovely hiding place for my bicher. I actually bought a large stock of plastic plants from a dealer in Hong Kong that have some high quality plastics used. I'm quite fond of them, just waiting for them to arrive. Java moss has been on my list of things to get. My black shark is a serious eater and I feel like that would keep him busy and away from my amazon swords. Wisteria has just become a tasty snack with a high price tag. I was thinking of using my QT as a starting place or nursery of some of my plants, and once they look good and healthy, re introducing them into the tank. I love natural plants since they increase over all tank health, but keeping them has been tough. I think I should look into more plants like the Anubis because of the thick leaves. It's either too thick to eat, or just not very tasty. More than anything, I just feel bad for my fishies since they're out of places to play and hide because the plants have become snacks. My once lush tank has become quite bare. Sadly, there are not a lot of local dealers that have the plants I want or need, so I have to do everything online. Sad.

arny

Re: Aquascaping Issues. UPDATE! YAY!

Post by arny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

I have silver dollars and silver (bala) sharks and the only plant I've found that they don't eat is Java fern. Its not the nicest looking plant but more appealing varieties are being created. I have tried them with Anubis but they ate that.

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 am

My balas chew on EVERYTHING! Oh gawd. I've got some smaller ferns that have lasted me a year or so, but they don't stay put. I find them all bunched up in the corners of the tank during cleanings. I've always referred to them as little lawn mowers. My brother swears they were highered help.

arny

Post by arny » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Maybe it is a good idea to grow the plants to a good size before introducing them to the tank. My java fern was full grown before I got the sharks and they haven't touch them so maybe they're not as appetising as young plants. Though it might be that your sharks will always love the continuous snack that your plants provide.

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:17 pm

I used to give them lettuce tethered down to rocks and such to keep them chewing on everything else, but that didn't help too much. The loaches loved it. They just continued to chew everything up. I have convinced my better half to let me keep the QT running as a nursery while it's not being used for fish. I basically used the excuse "But that will keep the QT cycled and get fish healthier faster!" That worked. Wonder if I can try the same thing to finally get my 300gal?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:45 pm

I love that big piece of wood!

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm

You'd be ashamed if I told you where I got it! It was a great, hulking piece, but I had to cut it down to meet the tiny width of the tank. I lost a lot of the roots because of the thinning.