Boy, am I an idiot!! :)

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Boy, am I an idiot!! :)

Post by Sadielynne » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:12 pm

I bought 5 Green Spotted Pufferfish to put in one of the 45 gal. tanks I take care of. The label said they could be with mollies and several other fish, so I thought they would be OK with 3 platys. There is also a pleco.

Well, when I got home, I did research on them and discovered they are best by themselves, as they are very aggressive. I worried about the fish I put them in with, and checked on them this morning (along with new fish in a couple other tanks), I found 2 platys (not 3) and saw the pleco being picked on.

I SHOULD NEVER HAVE PUT THEM TOGETHER!!!!!!! The poor pleco has torn fins (as do the plays) and they even picked at his "suckery" mouth!!!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!! I have brought them home and put them in my 10 gal. tank that has 2 yoyo loaches and a long finned-zebra danio. I hope everyone will be fine! I haven't looked to see the compatibility, as I am tired and need to go to bed.

Any thoughts? I hope I haven't screwed up again!!

Diana

Re: Boy, am I an idiot!! :)

Post by Diana » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Green Spotted Puffers
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug. ... roviridis/
and most especially Puffer-Punk's article:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... d-puffers/

High end brackish water fish. Quite aggressive. Do not keep in a tank with other fish.
One, a single, OK in 30 gallon minimum. If the personalities get along, then a couple of them in a tank double that size, but WATCH it. They may not get along.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Well, I have removed 2 puffers and left one in the 45g. - the aggressive devil!! :)
One fish was missing so I brought the 2 home and took them to work with me, to find out if they would take them back. Yes, they would, JUST TO FLUSH THEM!!!!!!! They said they couldn't return them to their tank because they had been out of the store. I kept them, saying I wasn't returning them to be killed!!
I bought a 10g setup and went home over lunch and got them set up in it! I realize a larger tank is recommended, but I have done this on a show string, at the moment! the 2 seemed to be doing good - not chasing each other, etc. The one left behind at the vets home was like a rocket going after them! I am actually wondering if I should put the 2 in the larger tank and bring the aggressor home, so the residents have 2 fish to watch, rather than 1!
I added a heater this morning after I got off work. What is interesting is, they are not swimming around, like they had been, before I added the heater. The temp at that time was about 72 degrees and the water has now warmed to 77-78 degrees. Should they be in cooler water? I just got up and haven't check into that just yet.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 pm

Advertise them for sale, or even RAOK to someone who understands them and wants them.
Do not keep trying to make do with such impossible fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm

I have joined a puffer group and learning a bit more!. Fed an earth worm to the survivor (at my house) and he really gobbled it up! 1 did die and the one at the vets home was OK yesterday! Will go back this aft. after I wake up (I work nights).
I'll keep researching and asking questions. I don't think where I am that there will be anyone that would know what to do - I am his best bet, at the preseent! I am thinking about contacting change.org and working to try to get walmart to stop selling fish!!!!! Having had a store before, I am picky, but don't claim to know everything - these little devils caught me by surprise!!
Thanks for your reply!

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Sadielynne wrote:I am thinking about contacting change.org and working to try to get walmart to stop selling fish!!!!!
I would gladly sign that petition!
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:12 pm

I will keep you posted!! One thing that I have to consider is that I work for wallyworld, too! That doesn't mean I like it!! :oops:

DannyFisherman1

Post by DannyFisherman1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am

That's fine nobody is perfect. I done it as well when I was young. I bought (I can't remember which one) but I know the next morning my gold fish was gone. It took me long way to learn. I was thinking this year to order tank like this :
https://www.google.pl/search?q=table+fi ... mpzSmMWJM: