What about this stock in a 45 gal tank?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Koeny

What about this stock in a 45 gal tank?

Post by Koeny » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:03 pm

The tank will revolve around 10 to 12 Sidthimunki loaches. Will the following fish go with them?

- 15-ish Barbus titteya or 25-ish Boraras Brigittae or Danio choprae (these are probably too small).
- Some guppies 2m 4f
- Trichogaster tricopterus 1m 1f
- My 2 SAE's
- 2 Sewellia lineolata (how to sex them?)

I would also like to try a group of dwarf shrimp or at least Caridina multidentata.

Plant-wise I'm thinking about Anubias barteri, Anubias nana, Cabomba asiatica, Java fern on driftwood, Hygrophila difformis and Echinodorus "aflame".

I'll try a Hydor 425 gph pump for current and place it low in the tank to try and not bother the Trichogasters who like stagnant water. Or can you recommend something instead of the Trichogasters?

Tell me what you think.

Diana

Re: What about this stock in a 45 gal tank?

Post by Diana » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Most of your choices have a wide enough tolerance for temperature that they can work together.
Guppies originated in hard water, but seem adaptable, though the more delicate colors would do better in hard water. The rest of the fish are pretty much soft water fish, though not very demanding.

- 10-12 Sids24-28°C
- 15-ish Barbus titteya 23°C - 27°C or 25-ish Boraras Brigittae or Danio choprae (these are probably too small).
- Some guppies 2m 4f You mean about 4 million?
- Trichogaster tricopterus 1m 1f Male is territiorial and aggressive. I would not have any other Anabantoids, if you want a male. Couple of females might get along, but they can be a bit argumentative, too. WIde temperature tolerance, prefer calmer water.
- My 2 SAE's 24°C - 26°C
- 2 Sewellia lineolata (how to sex them?)20-23.8°C just don't see these working here.

I think I would go for smaller Gouramis (Honeys, perhaps) and then you could try more than one.
And the smaller barb/rasbora/danio option, rather than the big ones.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:32 am

Good advice from Diana. I would pass on the guppies as well (your water will eventually be replaced by guppy fry). I keep a group of pristella maxillaris in with my sids. You might also consider adding a small group of mikrogeophagus altispinosus (Bolivian ram).
Koeny wrote:- 2 Sewellia lineolata (how to sex them?)
It's actually pretty easy. See the main site here http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sewellia-lineolata
Koeny wrote:I would also like to try a group of dwarf shrimp or at least Caridina multidentata.
The sids will eat some of the shrimp but I find that as long as there are enough hiding spots/plants my colony survives and continues to grow.

Let us know what you decide.
Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

Koeny

Post by Koeny » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:54 am

What if I replace the guppies with swordtails?

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Koeny wrote:What if I replace the guppies with swordtails?
IME, swords do better in harder water. Not to say they can't survive, but surviving isn't the same as thriving. There are several danios, devarios and rasboras that would work and add some interesting colors and behaviors.
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Most live bearers are hard water fish. You can research this yourself.
http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

Endlers Live Bearers seem to be more soft water than most. They are small, and could get eaten if you get the larger Barbs. I have kept Endlers with Zebra Loaches, and the Loaches did not eat even the babies. I would think they would be OK with Sids, too. I have Endlers in most of my tanks, and am gradually restocking all the tanks, some with larger fish.

Many of the tanks have GH and KH pretty low, and the Endlers are fine with that.

They also have originated in harder water, though.

Maybe skip the live bearer idea, and just get more of the other fish, or decide on one species of schooling smaller fish, not multiple schools.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!