River tank water turn over?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jonstfrancis

River tank water turn over?

Post by jonstfrancis » Wed May 04, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm setting up a new tank and wondered how often the water should be turning over through filtration.
My tank has about 75 litres (about 20 US gallons / 16 Imperial gallons).
For a tank with Sewellia lineolata how much movement of water is best for them? Lowest to highest ranges approximate?
Just looking at external cannister filters to make my river tank (not a manifold design but something with the aquarium sealed at the back to create a directional flow) work better.
What does anyone reckon?

Bas Pels

Re: River tank water turn over?

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 05, 2016 2:56 am

Once I read a definition for fast current. The water is supposed to move 1.25 meters a second. Quite likely, this was adapted from 4 feet a second (1.22 m).

After some calculations, I found this is the speed the water has in a filtertube: An Eheim 2028 pro II, moving 1000 liters an hour through 18 mm tubes sees the water going through the tubes with this speed.

Clearly, this speed is not attaninable in a tank. Putting it in other words - the more the better

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Thu May 05, 2016 8:10 am

I also thought the more the better but then questioned that. A limited space could have too much water movement especially if the water was forced out of the tank with its fishes!
So, I'm worried about too much flow but also don't wish to be disappointed with too little flow.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 05, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't think there is such a thing as too much flow for a current loving fish.

You could house it in an Eheim, and it would be happy. No way you can arrange that kind of flow in a tank

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Thu May 05, 2016 7:12 pm

So basically, any Eheim is compatible with any tank as long as too high a speed of water isn't an issue? I was wondering if the more powerful canister filters perhaps needed more water / larger tanks. If that isn't the case then I haven't any problems, I'll go with something affordable for me, yet powerful. Thanks!

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 06, 2016 8:36 pm

I would aim for 20 x the tank volume per hour. This is attainable, and not too much for the river types of fish. Start with the manufacturers ratings for filters and power heads, then add more, because the manufacturers lie.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!