TINTING AQUARIUM BACKGROUND

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

TINTING AQUARIUM BACKGROUND

Post by FranM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:51 am

Hi all.

My fiancé suggests window tinting the background (limousine dark tint) of my new aquarium.

I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m concerned it won’t be matte dark enough. I don’t want to see through it at all. AND, don’t both sides of the glass need to be tinted? Is the tinting toxic?

If anyone has experience with this please let me know and show me a pic! Thank you much.

Bas Pels

Re: TINTING AQUARIUM BACKGROUND

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:36 am

I painted almost all my tanks. The first one with light colors, which did not work out. The others black, just black, and this works perfectly. However, dark grey could suffice too.

Paint does not hold very well on glass, so put to piece you ant to paint horizontal, and obviously, paint the outside. Assume the paint is toxic (I don't know for certain) but put on the outside it won't harm.

However, it could be that "limousine tinting" is not a color. If it is a foil, use it on the outside without any harmfull effect. I once painted a tank in thick and thin paint, some places one could almost look through. This did not work, seeing the paint from the side ot the lights, I just saw the color.

Therefore I would assume a dark foil which one can look through, will appear dark. Still, I would thing paint is a lot less expensive then foil, and most likely easier to apply

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:24 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Bas Pel.

Fortunately for me the tinting will not cost me anything. My fiancé is having one of his car buddy connections do it. I will take photos once it’s done. I’m hoping it comes out the way I’m hoping. :|

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:28 am

The really dark tinting done to limo windows will probably be dark enough.

I have painted aquarium backgrounds and other materials related to aquariums, plastic and metal.
1) Surface must be clean and dry. I wire brushed the metal, then sanded. I used a fine sand cloth on PVC, just enough to degloss it. Other plastic (a couple of the rims), and the glass, I just cleaned.
2) Mask. I was using spray paint on most of these, so did a really good job of masking.
3) Spray, using several thin coats with waiting in between. Read the label on the product you are using.

One time someone painted a tank for me with a paint that was supposed to make a sort of 'crackle' finish. It smelled horrid, and did not stick well to the glass. Some of it started peeling off within a week, and by about a year it was pretty much all gone. The effect was not very noticeable when the tank was planted, either.

Looking forward to seeing your window tinted tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:59 am

Diana.

My fiancé, who calls my aquarium the 120 gallon headache, also wants to make sure not only that I’m happy with the job, but also, as you said, the aquarium doesn’t peel. He said you paid all that for the nice tank and now you’re going to paint it?? And then it’s going to peel! And on and on... Soooo, for that reason, it’s getting tinted. And if one coat of the darkest tint looks “eh”, it will get coated again. Yes I will show pics of it before water and after. I hope the darkness comes through strong enough like aquarium plastic background that is wet and it pops with color. Ya know what I mean, right?

Thank you.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:37 am

While I can apriciate foil will look better, none of my tanks have peeled the paint.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 am

Re: Is the tinting toxic, it will be on the outside of the tank wouldn't it?
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes Fishy, I said the same thing! And the other thing I was worried about is that we’d be looking from the inside out and from a dark tinted car you can still see out. I feel the tank is going to be the same and I explained this to my fiancé and he said not to worry!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 am

I do thik in this case your finacé is right.

In a darkened car, there´s more light outside than inside. The light further comes from outside

In a tank, the tank is brighter than the wall behind it, and the light comes from above, going to the wall. Regardless any transparancy in the foil, no light is coming in and therefore no shapes of anything outside the tank will be seen.

Is there any chance of seeing the result? I am rather curious

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks, Bas.

I promise to take pics after it’s done—before and after water. But it may not be until the coming weekend.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am

BasPel, here are a few pics of the tinted aquarium. Honestly, I’m not impressed. But here are the pics as promised.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks for showing us the result. I have to admit, I had expected more.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Maybe my pics suck. I don’t like the super reflective quality. So I’m really not impressed either, as I said. After the decorations and plants get added it shouldn’t even be an issue.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I think it is better than a blank, white wall, or any cords or tubing that might be behind the tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Oh yes. It definitely hides anything behind it.