Best food for a pictus catfish?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ChocolateCake123

Best food for a pictus catfish?

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 am

I have received a pictus catfish from an exchange, and he hasn't eaten anything for 4 days. I know they're all wild caught, so he may not recognize his carnivore pellets as food. As for other options, I went and surveyed the best fish market in town, and the best-quality seafoods are as follows. I have included the country of origin for the non-live seafood to know if it comes from a sanitary country. Which would you recommend feeding to him? They are:
Carp (live)
Spanish mackerel (frozen, product of Trinidad and Tobago)
Largemouth bass (live)
Red snapper (fresh, product of Guyana)
Pickerel/walleye (frozen, product of Canada)
Atlantic halibut (fresh, product of Scotland)
Also, I know carp and mackerel are both oily fish, and therefore are rather greasy, so if they're recommend, I was thinking to soak small cooked portions in a bowl of tank water until the grease is removed. Would that work? Thanks for your input

Bas Pels

Re: Best food for a pictus catfish?

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:16 pm

I'd start with freeze dried flakes. These are so prepared, thay gie some of their tase to the water, and the fish will taste them befrore eating them.

Many, many fish eat them with a lot of gusto

Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:25 am

When I got my first loaches, I acclimated them to store-bought food by first giving them finely cut fish or shrimp, and then a mix of fish/shrimp and dried flakes, slowly increasingly the flakes-to-fish ratio. Now I'm giving a 25-75% ratio of food and sometimes only flakes when I don't have much time, and they seem to like that.

This may work for your carnivorous catfish, even if it's not the same species!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Mine like Hikari micro pellets / sinking wafers, carnivore pellets, Repashy soilent green/ Grub pie and of course...................Raw beef.
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.