Silver Dollar Mouth

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Silver Dollar Mouth

Post by FranM » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm

https://youtu.be/RdQhZOTJwOg

My silver dollar has an issue. Nothing can go smoothly. You think you have your tank under control and then something happens. My silver dollar is having a problem with its mouth. Opening and closing continually and the gills are moving more than the others. It’s isolating itself from the others. It won’t eat regular food but did go for the frozen bloodworms yesterday. This has been going on for three days.

I think it either broke its jaw on the glass or it has food lodged. It has had a bump on its lips which is white, not fuzzy. And it truly has been there for a year—no exaggeration. I think it’s because it crashes into everything. Anyway I fear for its life and I don’t know what to do. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <5 nitrate.

Update 12/19. Clearly head on I caught a glimpse of the roof of the mouth and it appears like swollen tissue, white in color. Like it’s soft or jelly like or like the consistency of a wet cotton ball. IF this fish ate a sick fish, could cotton mouth be located INSIDE the mouth or is it always on the outside?

I’m at a loss and feel helpless.

Thanks.

Fran

lof

Re: Silver Dollar Mouth

Post by lof » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 am

How is he doing now?

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 am

Well, the fish is still surviving. Not thriving. It’s eating usually. Will come out for food but not being the aggressive eater that is typical of their kind. The upper lip area is still unhealed. It’s not fungus though.

Inside the mouth doesn’t look as swollen. My guess is it suffered an injury banging into the glass or aquarium decor. But the worst that has happened is a lump on its side has appeared. It seemed to have come out of nowhere. And also, you can see the issue around the mouth. Below is a short 10 second video.

This is the latest. Thank you for asking.

https://vimeo.com/309790069

lof

Post by lof » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am

I see they look healthy and you've had them for about 10 years. It is probably a tumor due to old age.
Can't see the mouth, if you want to try something there is a herbal product for wounds and bacterial infections called Artemiss by Microbelift which is safe for loaches and all, maybe it helps with the swelling, worst case it does nothing.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:36 am

If you notice the fish with the tumor and you look at the upper lip, you will notice its whitish appearance as opposed to the others. Thank you, they have been healthy up until now and you’re right, it could very well be older age.

I will look into the product you suggest. Thank you again.
Fran

lof

Post by lof » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 am

You're welcome, I see it now, when you say it's been there for a year I take it it is scar tissue from bumping in to stuff.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 am

Yes it could very well be that. I think it has gotten a little worse. But yes, honestly there has been some type of protrusion there for quite some time, and the fish was extremely active and normal throughout that period. Something happened over the last month month and a half. Thank you for continuing to look at responses. I appreciate it.