Steel Framing

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Steel Framing

Post by andyroo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi Loach-y-Folk,
I don't see people using steel support/reinforcement framing around their tank seams/sides, only glass. Is there a reason?

I ask as we're putting an in-wall build into our farmhouse renno; I'm thinking to reduce my glass cost by doing the framing in 1.5" angle-iron on top (pinned back to wall) & on the bottom (rebar'ed into the concrete bottom), then setting the glass and finally finishing the frame with angle iron screwed & cemented into the side walls. Any thoughts?

I am thinking seal the steel-float cement walls/bottom and any wet-side steel with WestSystem 105 Epoxy, as I've got plenty at-hand (the wonders of owning a vintage Boston Whaler)- any thoughts on that? Should I just spring for PondArmour?

The wall gap we're filling is 7'10" x 17~18" to an 8' ceiling. Assuming perfect rigidity of the frame, how high can I go with 0.5" glass?
Half-inch is the thickets that is regularly imported; annoyingly this is only cheap green glass, so suggestions on colour-shift lighting would be helpful, also. If 1/2 won't get enough height and I have to do the shipping myself, I may opt for low-iron or acrylic. Money is certainly a consideration, but so is "I'll only do this once"

Yes, I've asked about this at MFK. Some very helpful inputs, but I'm still sniffing...

Droid.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Bas Pels

Re: Steel Framing

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 am

While I am not certain, I think making a metal frame will cost money, money which will not be saved by reduced glass costs

Now a metal frame will add strength to the construction, and therefore thinner glass can be used - but as you said, the metal frame should be perfect to work, anhd how much glass will it safe?

I got a tank, 4 meters long, 70 cm high, that is some 2 feet 3 inches, made of 12 mm (half an inch) glass. I would assume, had I made a metal frame, I could have used 10 mm glass, saving perhaps 300 euros, but the frame would have costed 500 euros or more

Recently I inquired after the cost of a polyethylene tank, to be used as a pond. It turned out to be more expensive than glass, which obviously has the added benefit of being transparant.

Glass is expensivbe, that´s true. But alternatives are often more expensive. Still, you vould perhaps have a construcor make the tank out of concrete, coat it with epoxy a few times and hang a window in it. That might be less expensive than a full glass tank

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Bas Pels,
Agreed & I'd love to do something less complicated, but this is an island: for anything "special" imported, tack-on at least 50% in shipping & duties. One $400 pane of larger or clearer glass quickly gets well over a grand, and that assumes I don't break it ;)

So I buy "off the peg" where I can: cement, fibreglass, steel and float glass up to 1/2" and rely on relatively inexpensive local labour. The stupid epoxy I have leftover, thank goodness... it cost me best-part-of $200/gal by the time it arrived, but came through my little company (don't tell the tax-man)

leslietomb95,
thanks, but I can't take credit for most of these ideas. Most come from a pro-installer in Australia on MFK forum who goes by Fishdance. If I had his website I'd share it.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:41 am

I know tha advantages of having a little company myself :)

I can imagine on an Island prices can be quite different - what's produced locally, even though much more expensive elsewhere, can be the best solution.