Building an aquarium

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Groundhog

Building an aquarium

Post by Groundhog » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi - new poster here.

Some friends of mine just left town and giflted me their aquarium (which my son LOVES). The fish in there have been living together for 5+ years.

We've got:
- 4 zebra danios
- 1 clown loach
- 1 pleco

We've got a 40 gallon tank.

Was looking at posibly adding a few friends to the mix - maybe a few gourami's? Would you have any suggestions?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Re: Building an aquarium

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:13 pm

daltonbourne07 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:12 pm
There have been many times when easy to assemble furniture has let me down by not being durable enough for its intended uses. However, Aquatic fundamentals aquarium stands are not among them. This aquarium stand is solid. I think it is mostly due to it only having a couple of parts – with all of them being made of steel.
I have a stand that may be made by this brand. If it is, I can vouch for that solidity.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

loachlover4482

Post by loachlover4482 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:56 am

I would say ditch the clown loach and the pleco. Get more zebra danios and something that is a bottom-dweller (pygmy corys maybe?). Clown loaches like a lot of space, and preferably live in bigger groups. If the pleco is a common pleco, he will also be massive one day.

lilycollins

Post by lilycollins » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:48 am

It's wonderful that you're looking to expand your aquarium and provide a comfortable environment for your son's fish.
bitlife