Welcome to the New Freshwater Forum

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shafer
Site Admin

Welcome to the New Freshwater Forum

Post by shafer » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:28 am

Welcome to the new Freshwater forum - The Loaches Online place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping.

All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience. However, the aquarium is a complex habitat that is subject to variations in temperature, local water chemistry, local availability of species and chemical treatments, and numerous other variables. We will make our best effort to answer any and all serious questions about fish and their care, or to direct you to services in your area.

We encourage forward and innovative thinking and are eager that the membership should discuss such things. Everyone's fishkeeping style may be slightly different due to various factors and this we encourage. However, there are certain elements specific to fish care that we uphold on this site. Posts that encourage and advocate care principles that are known to be detrimental to fish health will be discussed, corrected, edited, modified or removed at moderator discretion.

Please refer to the full membership rules linked at the top of this forum.

Thanks,

Jeff Shafer
Loaches Online

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:07 pm

Hi Jeff. This new forum looks spectacular. What a difference from the old way with the long rows of threads.

Question--how do I make my avatar picture smaller to fit the under 80 pixel requirement?

Thanks!!

Fran
"Trust is the first step to love."

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:12 pm

Here's a handy little program >> http://www.irfanview.com/

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:49 pm

Well, I'm in the process of downloading this program and I hope I can figure it out after. Thank you very much.

Fran

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 pm

No problem downloading the program but I am having a problem figuring out how to convert pictures. It's cool though--I saw all my pictures on my hard drive displayed as thumbnails...just not sure how to save one as thumbnail size and where to retrieve it. I'm not bad at computer stuff but I'm not great either.

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:17 pm

Ok, lots of things are driving me crazy. The issue right now that is really putting me over the edge is that I'm still trying to post an image.

The first error message I received was not to exceed 80 pixels. I think I accomplished that because now the new error message I receive is image must be lest that 15 KB. I don't know how to manage that one. Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks.

Newbie-to-fish

Post by Newbie-to-fish » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:12 pm

did U figure out how to use the irfanview program. I have that program and could help...
Last edited by Newbie-to-fish on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranAndHerFish

Infranview

Post by FranAndHerFish » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:14 pm

No, I never did figure out how to use that Infranview.

Newbie-to-fish

Post by Newbie-to-fish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 am

If you still have it and need help let me know....
Last edited by Newbie-to-fish on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:25 am

Hi--I never deleted Infranview--it's just sitting here taking up space. Do you want to email me or throw some directions in the post? Thank you very much.

Fran

Newbie-to-fish

Post by Newbie-to-fish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:42 am

hi Fran: I will do that when I get back from church.... Be glad to help you, it isn't hard to resize the pics to where you need them and once you learn it will be a breeze...

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks--I'll be heading out to for the day and I will check back in tonight. Resizing was the big issue. :-) Thanks.

Newbie-to-fish

Post by Newbie-to-fish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi Fran: 1. open Irfanview, 2.Go to File(click on it) then to open(click on it), and pick which pic you want to work on. 3. Double click the picture so it will get into the program(irfanview), 3. In irfanview click on image, 4. then click on resize/resample, 5. try 640 then hit the Half button and hit ok, then your pic will be around 1.18 Mb/202.54 KB(this depends on the size you started with the for the original), 6. Hit OK and then that screen will close, 7. (back to irfanview this program won't close unless you make it close), then go back to file and hit save as, if you don't want to lose the original then give it a name, Like Dog, Fish ect. different from what it is currently named. LOOk and see where your putting it in the SAVE IN at the top of the new box that poped up, if you don't like where it is going to put it then put it in another option, I put mine in MY PICTURES. Again give it a name and then hit save. Now that window closes out and you will still see your pic in irfanview(but again its still smaller). 8. Go to your start menu and documents and my pictures and you should find your newly edidted picture with the name you gave it and it has been resized and ready to email or upload to loaches or whatever you want to do with it. 9. You can close irfanview and you picture you edited will stay wherever you put it. But they never stay in "irfanview", since this is just an editing program only.

If you have anymore problems let me know and I can re-walk you through it with whatever step you might be having problems with. It isn't hard it just seems like it if you have never done it, but once you do it a few times it will be a piece of cake. I use this all the time for my ebay business.

Have a great night!

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:04 pm

I still can't do it! I see the half button and clicked it--nothing changed, but what I did was manually change the size of the picture and it still doesn't save in MB but in KB. Also when I did make the picture small and saved it that way, I get the error message that it must be lest than 80 pixels. Maybe I'll try making it even smaller.

FranAndHerFish

Post by FranAndHerFish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Well, you are good, Mr. or Mrs. Newbie. Now I see too many of my faces on the posts. Once I find a good fish pic--or dog pic for that matter I'll undoubtedly change it now that I know what I need to do. I waited months for someone to help me out with this silly thing. Glad you came along.

Many thanks.

Fran