Pseudogastromyzon cheni Profile.*x

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Pseudogastromyzon cheni Profile.*x

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 pm

*Work in progress*

Scientific Name: Pseudogastromyzon cheni (Liang, 1942)

Common name: Chinese Hillstream loach, Chinesicher Flossensauger (Germany).

Synonyms: None.

Distribution: Widespread throughout China.

Sexual Dimorphism: Males have more prominent nasal tubercules, especially when sexually active.

Maximum size: 2 inches

Similar to: [url=Pseudogastromyzon myersi

Care: Inhabit fast flowing streams over boulders. Aquarium must duplicate these conditions as fish have very high oxygen requirements. See: http://www.loaches.com/hillstream_loaches.html for more detailed explanation.

With all sucker-type Hillstream species, care is broadly the same. All need excellent water-flow and aeration, numerous rocky hiding places and smooth pebbles and boulders to graze over. Lighting should be bright to encourage algal growth in the aquarium. Plants are not necessary as the fish do not normally encounter them in the wild, but they will help with water-quality. Suitable plants for high-flow environments are Anubias and Microsoreum. These will grow on rockwork or driftwood.

Feeding: Good quality flake, sinking pellets, algae wafers, thawed frozen Bloodworm, Mysis Shrimp, blanched Spinach, Kale, natural algae an advantage.

Water parameters: pH:7.0-8.0. Hardness: Medium. Max dh:

Temperature: 68ºF to 75ºF(20-23.8°C)

Breeding: Has been bred in the aquarium.

Notes: This species is fairly frequently imported and one of the easier hillstream Loaches to care for. In a properly set up aquarium they are lively and entertaining inhabitants, almost constantly on the move.
The fish eat micro-organisms growing on the rocks and also algae. There should be bright lighting to encourage algae growth.
Males will dig multiple spawning holes in substrate under edge of pebbles by using the tail to blast substrate away. The male attracts female to a chosen site by fluttering his fins in circles around the female and sometimes swimming over her body so they touch. Eventually, she will follow him to the hole he has prepared, and they take turns backing into the hole. Eggs are fertilized and then covered.
Fry appear from within substrate at around 4mm length and will actively graze for micro-organisms. They grow fairly quickly to around 1cm long, then the growth slows somewhat. They are usually sexually mature at around 6 months of age.

Caption: Pseudogastromyzon cheni male. Note the highly visible nasal tubercules.
Credit: Martin Thoene

Caption: Pseudogastromyzon cheni.

Caption: A baby Pseudogastromyzon cheni.

Caption: Eggs layed in gravel.
Credit: Jim Powers

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Added a picture and missing captions.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:50 pm

OK peoples.........here's the best example so far of how this new website is going to transform LOL. It was really easy to do (now I've had some practice), even if creating the article was a Bee-atch :?

http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... yzon-cheni

Check out the links, returns, etc. As I write, Jeff has yet to add the LOL Clown animated gif at the bottom right corner of the profile with a link back to the Species Index. We'll have that on each profile.

Enjoy!..........and remember I'm a complete computer clutz, so if I can get my head round this..... :wink:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.