Gastromyzon scitulus Profile*x

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Gastromyzon scitulus Profile*x

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:00 pm

*Work in progress*

Scientific Name: Gastromyzon scitulus (Tan & Leh, 2006)

Common name: Spiney-headed hillstream loach (because of confusion with G. ctenocephalus)

Synonyms: None.

Distribution: Sarawak, Borneo. Indonesia. Malaysia.

Sexual Dimorphism: Females generally plumper all over than males. Mature males develop raised areas on first few pectoral fin rays, resembling a line of fences, or louvres.

Maximum size: 2 inches

Similar to: Gastromyzon ctenocephalus

Care: Inhabit fast flowing streams over boulders. Aquarium must duplicate these conditions as fish have very high oxygen requirements. See: http://www.loaches.com/hillstream_loaches.html for more detailed explanation.

With all Gastromyzon species, care is broadly the same. All need excellent water-flow and aeration, numerous rocky hiding places and smooth pebbles and boulders to graze over. Lighting should be bright to encourage algal growth in the aquarium. Plants are not necessary as the fish do not normally encounter them in the wild, but they will help with water-quality. Suitable plants for high-flow environments are Anubias and Microsoreum. These will grow on rockwork or driftwood.

Feeding: Good quality flake, sinking pellets, algae wafers, thawed frozen Bloodworm, Mysis Shrimp, blanched Spinach, Kale, natural algae an advantage.

Water parameters: pH:7.0-8.0. Hardness: Medium. Max dh:

Temperature: 68ºF to 75ºF(20-23.8°C)

Breeding: Not bred in aquaria.

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus Male
Credit: Martin Thoene

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus Female

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus Female

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus Left FEMALE. Right MALE.

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus, underside
Credit:

Caption: Gastromyzon scitulus is identifiable from Gastromyzon ctenocephalus by generally having larger yellowish spots along the dorsal area. The dorsal fin lacks the bold pale blue markings of G. ctenocephalus and there are haphazard black vertical breaks in the horizontal pale blue stripes in the caudal fin.

Caption: G. scitulus TOP, G. ctenocephalus BOTTOM
Last edited by Martin Thoene on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Note the hot link to G. ctenocephalus... 8)

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:44 pm

Anyone who would like to try to do this on their own descriptions? Here is what was done:

Similar to: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=2684][/i]Gastromyzon ctenocephalus

by putting add your complete link here within the brackets[/i]]place the text you want to be the hotlink

very similar to creating bold or italic effects with brackets. You just need to know the topic number of the target description.

To find the topic number of the target description go to that description sticky. Put your cursor on the topic / sticky title and in the status bar the url of the target description will appear in the following format: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=2684. In this case topic 2684 is for G. ctenocephalus.

The topic number can be found the same way in the new species index. Put your cursor on LINK for the description you want and voila the topic will appear in the status bar at the bottom of your screen. (This assumes that you have not turned off your status bar in an attempt to increase your screen size.)

Of course now that I have a 19 inch widescreen that is not a problem here anymore ;)

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:11 am

Oh this is excellent! Good job :P

I added a cross-link to the G. ctenocephalus profile. Also, if you go to the profile above, you'll find I've added a link back to the Revision Species Index.

However, when I go back to it, it works, but there's a blank page apart from Species and Common name tabs at the bottom? You working on it or what?

Any of the team reading this, in one or two cases I've been in your fish profiles and added <(LINK) beside the "Similar To:" species name as an indicator to link it to the most similar species profile. This could be of huge assistance to a user trying to ID a fish. We can potentially make this highly user-friendly. If you've done a profile and you do the species that's similar, could you please add the coding as supplied by Shari to cross-link the two?

Thanks,

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Great idea!!!
So many people come to this site initially to ID loaches. This should help that.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:44 pm

added first two pictures and finished captions, credits.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.