Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:23 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Emmmmmaaaa.......you're going to hate me :evil: I thought I would be ever so helpful you see and deleted that extra picture file......but it also took out the inserted pic in your article :oops: ......so I think I answered your Q......but not quite how you wanted to find out.

Jeff....I've done the River-Tank manifold design article and it's in the Articles file, but doesn't appear in the list with Emma's article?
Yes, we need all images to be separate objects, as you found out. :D Note that you can HIDE items from the navigation box. It's an option ("Exclude from Navigation") under the Properties tab of the item. I've been clicking it for you thus far.

The article list page is MANUALLY created, because we'll certainly want it to be a non-standard format once we have all the articles in place. (There will need to be multiple categories, and maybe several levels of pages to find what you're looking for.) A simple table won't really suffice, IMHO. I did it for you, but for future reference you'll need to edit that page and add a link to the text. We'll organize it better soon enough.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:43 pm

I moved those article photos to the appropriate file and deleted the original versions in the Species Photos. For some reason I lost 3 of my pictures within the article, but I managed to re-insert them again.

I found some weird things were happening occasionally. Sometimes I saved and the saved file changed visually from my visible page in the edit page. Particularly images resizing themselves during save.

I'm pleased with the overall look of it now though. Right, now I've proved I can assemble an article, I'll go back to Species Profiles :wink:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:16 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:I moved those article photos to the appropriate file and deleted the original versions in the Species Photos. For some reason I lost 3 of my pictures within the article, but I managed to re-insert them again.

I found some weird things were happening occasionally. Sometimes I saved and the saved file changed visually from my visible page in the edit page. Particularly images resizing themselves during save.

I'm pleased with the overall look of it now though. Right, now I've proved I can assemble an article, I'll go back to Species Profiles :wink:

Martin.
Well, I was moving 2 of your images as a test at about the same time you were doing that, so it's possible we were stepping on each other's toes. Sorry!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:41 am

Had a brainwave this morning while laying in bed thinking about getting up.

Check the bottom of here: (for some reason, this loads looking different to when you're in the site)

http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... -elongatus

It's very easy to put that navigation on the bottom of each profile. The Clown Loach gif is stored in Articles>Images

Jeff, I believe that it shows a frame against the white background, but will float on a background skin...........like so:

The "fuzz" around the fish should virtually dissapear against a light textured skin.

Martin.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:54 am

Very nice! Coming along swimmingly, things are. 8)

Question:
In Schistura multifasciatus we have the following for synonyms:
Nemacheilus multifasciatus, Nemacheilus multifasciatus,...
Should the second one be 'Nemachilus'? That seems to be one of the common spellings for synonyms among the group...otherwise, I will delete the duplicate.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 am

Swimmingly.....arf! arf!

Well, for starters it appears the actual current name is Nemacheilus multifasciatus, not Schistura multifasciatus.

http://www.fishbase.org/Nomenclature/Sy ... ifasciatus

As I've checked Fishbase's data on every species I've done, I can only conclude they moved the goalposts again since I wrote the profile.

Martin.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:01 am

You want I should change it? Or you want to change it? Or should we leave it?

hmm?
books. gotta love em!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:27 am

I'll look at it again. I tried earlier, but couldn't get back into Fishbase.

We might as well be correct right? That is the whole premise of this work :? .....even if it's only for a week or two :wink:

Martin.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:48 am

Martin Thoene wrote:Emmmmmaaaa.......you're going to hate me :evil: I thought I would be ever so helpful you see and deleted that extra picture file......but it also took out the inserted pic in your article :oops: ......so I think I answered your Q......but not quite how you wanted to find out.

Image Sorrrrry mate! :?

Jeff....I've done the River-Tank manifold design article and it's in the Articles file, but doesn't appear in the list with Emma's article?

:oops: Martin :oops:
Don't worry, Martin! :lol: I'll try it again when I've got rid of this migraine I've got...... :cry:
I'm finding this a lot more difficult than the M/A sites I've been working on. :roll:
Your River Tank stuff looks great, btw.

Em
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:23 am

Thanks for being so understanding. I felt like a complete doofus after I realized what I'd done. I hope you feel better soon. :P

I'm finding that as I'm doing stuff I'm getting quicker and more intuitive as well. I'm also seeing the possibilities with this software. I think it's great.

Thanks for the feedback on what I've done so far. I'm really looking forward to Jeff getting us a cool looking skin design.....he's out watering bamboo as I write I bet :wink: It all looks a bit white at present.

To keep up the cross-referencing and suchlike, with each species, once I've uploaded all the photos, I go to the first photo for the species and in edit mode insert all the related items links, including the species profile. It's too much work to do it for every photo though.
Also, after uploading all the photos for that species, I go into Contents for that file and tick each entry box, then hit the change status tag to publish them. It seems they won't be publically viewable unless you publish. Same goes for profiles and articles.

If you look at Gastromyzon unknown04, you'll find that I have the link to my Hillstream article, in-text links to species SK02 and a Back to Species Index link at the bottom right. I'm adding that to all the profiles as I'm doing them.

I can't pretend it's been easy, but I have to say it's a lot easier than I anticipated. In a few hours of useage, I'm learning how it works and easier ways of acheiving my goal. I find upoloading the photos the worst part......very repetative, especially when that Turner person is so productive :roll:

Jeff.....with the species photos, must you upload within the letter file, or just to the photo file and will it place them automatically? I've been uploading directly in the letter file.

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:20 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Also, after uploading all the photos for that species, I go into Contents for that file and tick each entry box, then hit the change status tag to publish them. It seems they won't be publically viewable unless you publish. Same goes for profiles and articles.

If you look at Gastromyzon unknown04, you'll find that I have the link to my Hillstream article, in-text links to species SK02 and a Back to Species Index link at the bottom right. I'm adding that to all the profiles as I'm doing them.

Jeff.....with the species photos, must you upload within the letter file, or just to the photo file and will it place them automatically? I've been uploading directly in the letter file.
Hi Martin,

Yes, you must upload within the letter folder; it's not automatic. You're doing the correct thing.

I like the animated loach pointing back to the species index! Let me figure out how to get rid of the black box around it, though. I think it will look even better that way.

Actually, all of your content has a state of 'public-draft' already, so you don't need to change the mode for everyone to see it. (Maybe just leave it along, and I'll change it? It makes it easier for me to find new content that's been added since the last time I was at the site)

Thanks,

Jeff

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:21 pm

Emma Turner wrote:Don't worry, Martin! :lol: I'll try it again when I've got rid of this migraine I've got...... :cry:
I'm finding this a lot more difficult than the M/A sites I've been working on. :roll:
Your River Tank stuff looks great, btw.
Em
Hi Emma, I think you created a new image without uploading the image file from your computer. There's nothing there at the moment. When you feel better, can you try again?

Thanks,

Jeff

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Martin: I revised your 'back-to-species-index' link a bit by getting rid of the black box, and putting it in a table to it can float next to the photo search link. See http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... -elongatus

Let me know if you like it. Actually, if you like it, you can stop putting it on pages, since I'll have to delete it when I paste in the Photo Search table anyway.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:02 pm

Glitch Report :?

I've noticed that if you link from here, certainly on my computer, to a species profile you can only see the picture and the Notes.....no Summary??? It's just blank.

Your A. elongatus link gave me an unframed page with a picture, notes, the photo link and the Clown, but the last word of the link was displaced under the rest of the line. It's perfectly OK when viewed within the site.

I've spent a very frustrating time creating the Sexing and Breeding P. cheni Article today. I've found that I would save and the saved version did not match the designed version. Text overlaying pictures, different text positions, that sort of thing.

Images.....if you import at say 400 x 400 and decide you want to re-size by dragging it works beautifully. But when you save, it returns to normal size again. I found the only way to make it work is to import at original size, drag down to fit, then save immedeately. Go back to the page and carry on with it, adding and saving as you go. Working out that would work drove me nuts.

Page size......there is a limit......I exceeded it :) I wanted to keep it on one page, so I X'd a couple of photos from the version on the Forum here, and downsized drastically the images I used.
It's highly likely when I do a re-write on the Hillstream article that I'll have to go to two or more pages, as will anyone else who writes anything lengthy that has illustrations or photos.

Learning as we go 8)

The Clown looks great Jeff. You made these posts while I was planting Clowns and links :lol: I'll stop now if you're going to add that version. It's much nicer and fits sully's "No Clowns In Cubes" campaign 8)

Next project: Pseudogastromyzon cheni profile, linked to the Article.

Martin.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Thank you for taking the "No Clowns in a Cube" campaign into consideration Martin. 8) Is good. And so is your cheni article.

Also is VERY good that all this breeding info (and I'm assuming Sewellia will be next!) is actually going to be accessible on a site that is searchable and easy to locate via Google! How cool is that???! 8)
books. gotta love em!