Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:I've noticed that if you link from here, certainly on my computer, to a species profile you can only see the picture and the Notes.....no Summary??? It's just blank.
That's weird, it works fine for me. Try hitting reload on your browser. Maybe it cached an incomplete page. I've gotta work on the cache server anyway. It's an old version and needs to be updated this week before it breaks.
Martin Thoene wrote:I've spent a very frustrating time creating the Sexing and Breeding P. cheni Article today. I've found that I would save and the saved version did not match the designed version. Text overlaying pictures, different text positions, that sort of thing.

Page size......there is a limit......I exceeded it :) I wanted to keep it on one page, so I X'd a couple of photos from the version on the Forum here, and downsized drastically the images I used.
It's highly likely when I do a re-write on the Hillstream article that I'll have to go to two or more pages, as will anyone else who writes anything lengthy that has illustrations or photos.
There is no limit on the page size. Instead, what happened is that you ran out of text and still had floating images left to show.

I think the problems you experienced with page size and preview-not-matching-final version are related to the use of a HUGE number of text-wrapping images. Seriously, don't use so many! Inline images are much easier to manage and give you more consistent results.

What you need to consider when designing a page is that the WIDTH of a page can vary significantly depending on the viewer. It's not like Microsoft Word where the page always looks the same. The graphical editor has a narrow window, so the text takes up lots of lines. But, when you save, the final version has a wider window, so the text takes up fewer lines, and images that had wide vertical spacing are now closer together.

In fact, that article doesn't look so hot on my computer at work which has a nice 20" monitor. It "runs out of page" before all of the images because the text occupies fewer lines. If I make my window smaller, then everything looks fantastic, which is how you designed it. :D

Ideally, you should limit the number of floating images and surround them with lots of text, so that if the page width is resized (either smaller, or twice as wide), there will still be plenty of text for the image to float in. Then, just inline the rest of the images. Or, you could use several 2-column tables, and put the image in one column and the text in another. Then, the text stays "attached" to the image better.

Martin Thoene wrote: The Clown looks great Jeff. You made these posts while I was planting Clowns and links :lol: I'll stop now if you're going to add that version. It's much nicer and fits sully's "No Clowns In Cubes" campaign 8)

No Clowns in Cubes! Glad you like it. The animated link is a nice touch; thanks for testing it out first! :D
Martin Thoene wrote: Images.....if you import at say 400 x 400 and decide you want to re-size by dragging it works beautifully. But when you save, it returns to normal size again. I found the only way to make it work is to import at original size, drag down to fit, then save immedeately. Go back to the page and carry on with it, adding and saving as you go. Working out that would work drove me nuts.
Hmmn, I think I disabled the dragging-resize feature because I didn't like it, but I guess you found a way to use it anyway. Very sneaky! :D When you use the dropdown menu and pick a size, it makes actual images that size that look great. When you use the dragging-resize method, it just lets the web browser resize, and the results can look blocky. I've been trying to use the pre-built sizes as much as possible in my work, but if you need the ability to resize to any size, I could re-enable it.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:38 pm

Hmmmm.....that changing around of stuff based on screen size is a bit of a pain. It can certainly mess up what looks to me like a tidy ensemble of text and pictures.

Knowing that there's no page size limit I may just go back and edit again with larger sized images inline. Sounds like a plan.

Funnily enough, I just did the P. cheni profile and input the picture at 400 x 400, but the text beside it looked a bit duff, so I resized it with no problem and got a better word alignement. You sure you disabled it? Now of course, what you're telling me is it's going to look different to other viewers right? Your mileage may vary.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Hmmmm.....that changing around of stuff based on screen size is a bit of a pain. It can certainly mess up what looks to me like a tidy ensemble of text and pictures.

Knowing that there's no page size limit I may just go back and edit again with larger sized images inline. Sounds like a plan.

Funnily enough, I just did the P. cheni profile and input the picture at 400 x 400, but the text beside it looked a bit duff, so I resized it with no problem and got a better word alignement. You sure you disabled it? Now of course, what you're telling me is it's going to look different to other viewers right? Your mileage may vary.

Martin.
You know, I'm not sure if I disabled it or not. I know I THOUGHT about disabling it though! :D

Oh, I decided the articles/images folder was disorganized. I made a new sub-folder for the rivertank images and then CUT/paste the images into it. Everything seemed to work fine and it didn't break the images in the article, thank goodness. The article looks GREAT, thanks so much for uploading it! I fixed the animated loach logo to be box-free, so you can always copy&paste it from that page for future use in articles. (Copy from the editor window, though)

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:51 pm

Another thing I discovered that's neat. I looked in and saw the change, so went and found your sub-folder. I think that's cool because we'll be aware of changes.

I'll put the Clown in like that then thanks. This is excellent!

How's that bamboo growin'?

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Another thing I discovered that's neat. I looked in and saw the change, so went and found your sub-folder. I think that's cool because we'll be aware of changes.

How's that bamboo growin'?

Martin.
I love the recent updates section too! That's the only way I can keep track of things! (That, and it's nice that you leave updates as public-draft, as that calls my eye to them too to publish)

Do you want me to take a stab at the breeding article and try to build it using tables and such so it's more flexible for different monitors?

The bamboo is still a seedling. There's still a lot of behind the scenes work to do that I want to tackle first. I spent last night reading about how to configure the new caching software I'm going to install. I'll need to take the server offline (tonight or tomorrow) for a "few minutes" to upgrade it. And I'm only half done with the backups. We've got historical backups on the server, updated hourly, but not mirrored to another building yet for safety, or in case of ISP bankruptcy! :wink:

FYI, I'm going to be gone for 8 days over Thanksgiving, and will probably be out in the woods, far away from internet access during that time. But, hopefully I can get these technical changes resolved before I go, and post some species profiles and image searches too!

Maybe in December, there will be enough content at the community site that I'll put a big link on the main LOL site to it? I guess that depends on how fast I get the profiles moved over...

Jeff

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:19 pm

I may just edit it with seperate images rather than wrapped. Don't bother now, it can be done at some time. We need you concentrating on the ways of The Force that we can't do or even begin to understand for that matter!

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:30 am

Hey, the species index is looking great Martin!! I've added image search and animated loach footers to all 12 species profiles created thus far. The hillstream profiles look fantastic! :D

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:47 am

I'm having fun (not) with that Clown gif. Sometimes it will paste in easy, sometimes not.

What happens is I hit paste and it appears for a millisecond, then reverts to an image box? Another time, it will just paste over no problem?

Just checked the profiles again NOW they really are working fantastically!
I just linked species names from one profile to two others....neat!

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:53 am

Martin Thoene wrote:I'm having fun (not) with that Clown gif. Sometimes it will paste in easy, sometimes not.

What happens is I hit paste and it appears for a millisecond, then reverts to an image box? Another time, it will just paste over no problem?
Are you copying from a different place at different times? When I put the footer on the species profiles, I went to the edit screen of the first profile, copied it from there, and pasted it on every other page without a problem.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:10 pm

Martin: Just a thought. We should probably put the common name in the species profile title field. You know, something like "Chromobotia macracanthus (Clown Loach)" The reason is: Google and other search engines give the web page title high priority in a search. I definitely want a search for "Clown Loach" (and Yoyo loach, etc etc...) to match some titles on our new site!

Let's just use our judgment and only put the single most popular of the common names (if any exist) in the title. The rest can stay in the page body text.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:46 pm

Great minds think alike :wink: I was inputting Chromobotia macracanthus and it occured to me that most people will be looking for "Clown Loach" if they're information gathering.

I've just finished doing a profile on the Clown Loach. I figured we needed our Poster Child input fairly rapido. I've added a lot to Mark's original version in our revisions. There was a lot of mixing up of care, behaviour, etc in other sections. Therefore, I moved things around and I think it's more logical now.

There seems to be some anomolies with text spacing and suchlike during saving the file. Not sure why that is?

Can everyone look at it and give me some feedback please? Particularly Emma. Shari, you'll probably want to proof read it anyway huh? :wink:

http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... cracanthus

So Jeff....If I put Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) as the title, that will work Ok and give search-engines something to chew on?

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:52 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:So Jeff....If I put Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) as the title, that will work Ok and give search-engines something to chew on?
Sure, that's perfect!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:03 pm

Done and done!

Just finished the "Clown Loach Color and Markings Variation" article as a new entity on the Community.

Still having trouble with that Clown gif Jeff. Attached to the Clown profile no problem, doesn't like articles for some reason? I tried Emma's article and the "markings" one to no avail. I did get one message saying it would not work due to "errors".

Martin.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Martin,

This looks great, but I'd really like a big photo of Marge on there somewhere and also one of the whole of my gang included in the description to show a huge group if possible. There were a couple of photos like these in Mark's original description. I got my new camera today, so I'll be trying it out when the mob come out later on tonight.

I'm going to send you a PM with the clwon loach profile I wrote a while back for the upcoming new fish databank I'm creating for the M/A website so that you can see if you think anything else should be incorporated. :wink:

Em
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:38 pm

The reason there isn't a Marge was the picture wasn't up in the description here for some reason. For search capability reasons, I'm copying over all the pictures to My Pictures and renaming them.

The format is chromobotia_macracanthus_01 and so on.

Photos are stored in Species Index > Photos > First Letter of Name file.
There's a seperate file under Articles for pictures used within articles, not species profiles. We can add and add. It just so happens I was going to go to the Copperine and go Marge hunting in your gallery :wink:

Every single picture is added seperately with it's own title. I'm getting much faster at it now, but it's still tedious. So every single picture means I right click the image here, go Save As, input the new file name and Save. Then in the Community I go to the appropriate photo file and click add content, click photo, add a title, Credit, find the file in MY pictures, Upload it. THEN, I have to input it into the page which is a whole other process. I make it sound more difficult than it is, but it's just the repetition that's a pain.

For future reference, when we are adding photos of a particular species, we're going to have to check in the appropriate file and find the last numbered example of that species and number our new file as the next # and so on before we upload it. It's easy for me right now because My pictures pops up a list of files if I input the first few letters in the file name box.

All the files that are in the profile here, except Marge are uploaded on the Community. You can't see them till Jeff adds the pictures search link at lower left though.

Martin.