Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Cool, looks great Martin!! :D

You really should shrink those 2 large images near the bottom though. Looking at the Google stats, 50% of our viewers have monitors running at a size of 1024x768. (In fact, 10% have even smaller monitors, but I'm not designing my site for that audience). But, this means the page is too wide for them, and they'll have to scroll horizontally to see it all. (Which is a bad design practice) I think on the page there's room for an image of 600 pixels wide, at the most, so you really should shrink those images.

Thanks!

Jeff
Last edited by shafer on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:13 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:For future reference, when we are adding photos of a particular species, we're going to have to check in the appropriate file and find the last numbered example of that species and number our new file as the next # and so on before we upload it. It's easy for me right now because My pictures pops up a list of files if I input the first few letters in the file name box.
We can probably get around that by naming the new files something like chromobotia_macracanthus_2006_11_08.jpg or something. That way you don't have to check what is already on the site. Or, there's always descriptive file names, e.g. chromobotia_macracanthus_loachy_dance_01.jpg.

Jeff

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:03 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Check this out 8)

http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... nthus/view

Martin.
You've been working hard on this... I saw it this morning, and it's gotten even better.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:37 am

Fabulous Martin! :D I see you intergrated a few more bits. :wink:
Nice work.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 am

Hey Emma, can you re-upload your loaches/cichlids image that was accidentally deleted? Thanks!

Jeff

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:59 am

Ok Jeff, I think it should be there now. And I think I even managed to get rid of the other one! :wink:

Thank you for the comment at the bottom of the article, Shari. :D

Emma

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:01 am

Ooooh Shari, do you remember a while back we were re-jigging the article I wrote for Tropical World on Botia? We'd exchanged a few e-mails on it and made a few amendments etc. It must still be on my old pc, so I'll have to try and find what I've done with it, unless you still have a copy to hand. Would be useful to put an Introduction to Botia article on there, don't you think?
Emma

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:39 am

Abstatalutely! :lol:

I've worked the Homaloptera orthogoniata Complex profiles in, plus the Scale keels picture/article. The whole lot are cross-linked so you can go round and round in all directions :P Try it out!

This software is cool! 8)

Martin.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:36 pm

Someone's been busy! :shock: It all looks fab, Martin, and the links are great. :D

Emma

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:59 pm

I still have it Emma, in .htm version 8)

Would you like to upload it and tweak with pics etc? I sent it to your email box...
and you're very welcome.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:54 pm

Emma Turner wrote:Ok Jeff, I think it should be there now. And I think I even managed to get rid of the other one! :wink:
Looks GREAT Emma, thanks!

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:06 pm

Oh, and MARTIN, I *love* the "Happiness is Happy Clowns" ending to the Clown Loach profile. Wonderful work!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks. It's an Emma photo with my editing 8)

I noticed a glitch this afternoon. I completed Neogastromyzon crassiobex and when I went to the Index to code the name in the list to link to the profile, the profile did not come up in any list I could look at and click on to make the link?

It's there now though and I just completed the process :)

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:18 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:I noticed a glitch this afternoon. I completed Neogastromyzon crassiobex and when I went to the Index to code the name in the list to link to the profile, the profile did not come up in any list I could look at and click on to make the link?

It's there now though and I just completed the process :)
Yes, I've noticed that too. Something (the web browser, the front-end web server, the application server) is caching an old copy of the file list and not displaying the most recent version with the new document. Sometimes, saving the page, hitting reload, and then trying to make the link again will fix it. Other times, coming back later (after the old version expires) will fix things.

Anyway, upgrading the cache system to the latest version (we're at a pre-release version now) is a high priority for me. Maybe that'll just fix it.

Jeff