Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:04 pm

8) Excellent!

Another hiccup got around.

I'll attempt not to create any more issues :oops:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Now that we have the new 600x size available, I changed the Photo Search feature. Now, when you view a single image, it shows you the 600x image instead of the 400x image. (You still have the link to view the original, of course, but at least this preview is more substantial and fills the screen more fully)

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:19 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:8) Excellent!

I'll attempt not to create any more issues :oops:
:D Haha, but think of it this way: If you hadn't created this issue, I probably would never have gotten around to adding a 600x option to the system or learned how to regenerated the thumbnails. (Or figured out that I was running out of memory and needed to adjust the configuration)

Just, no more issues today, ok? :D

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:38 pm

Learning is good.

Next time you're bored, just drop me a PM and I'll see what I can screw up for ya! :wink:

:twisted: Martin.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:22 pm

I'm getting a better hang of this, but I've got a problem with Botia dario. I accidentally created a folder in the photos section called "Botia dario" and I can't seem to delete it.

Also, is adding the direction to the other photos (not on the species page) done by Jeff or Martin? Or can we do this as we create the page?

I'm picking it up at least.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:I'm getting a better hang of this, but I've got a problem with Botia dario. I accidentally created a folder in the photos section called "Botia dario" and I can't seem to delete it.

Also, is adding the direction to the other photos (not on the species page) done by Jeff or Martin? Or can we do this as we create the page?

The obvious delete button is broken (as you noticed). The workaround is to go to the folder containing the item you want to delete, and click the contents tab. Then you can check the box next to the item you want to delete, and hit the delete button BELOW the table.

Jeff adds the Photo Search functions and the Back To Species Index image/link. (Essentially, everything from the Photo Gallery header and below)

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm

Yeah Mark, in the Species index Photos there's a file for just one pangio_unknown01

You uploaded two files for that species and one went into the P file and one into the general Photo storage file, creating its own file.

I did the same myself earlier with a Leptobotia, so deleted the single file and re-uploaded it to the L file.

It's L in there! :wink:

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:47 pm

Martin, I went ahead and updated all of the old species profiles (where the state was published, not public-draft) with the new 600-wide images where appropriate. So, all of the old profiles should be finished.

Now, only 30 newer profiles to add the photo searches to...

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:02 am

I've been doing Yasuhikotakia (I can actually spell it now without checking up on myself :P ) because there were a lot of potential cross-links in the texts that were easier to do at the same time.

I've left Y. eos all hooked up, but without images yet because there's quite a few to load. I'm pooped....too many late nights/early morning lately :wink:

I'll hook up the pictures tomorrow. We're nearly down to two pages on the Updates Forum 8)

Martin.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:14 am

shafer wrote:
Mark in Vancouver wrote:I'm getting a better hang of this, but I've got a problem with Botia dario. I accidentally created a folder in the photos section called "Botia dario" and I can't seem to delete it.

The obvious delete button is broken (as you noticed). The workaround is to go to the folder containing the item you want to delete, and click the contents tab. Then you can check the box next to the item you want to delete, and hit the delete button BELOW the table.

Jeff adds the Photo Search functions and the Back To Species Index image/link. (Essentially, everything from the Photo Gallery header and below)
Thanks. That solves my problems. Well, the peripheral ones... Cheers.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:20 am

Martin Thoene wrote:Yeah Mark, in the Species index Photos there's a file for just one pangio_unknown01

You uploaded two files for that species and one went into the P file and one into the general Photo storage file, creating its own file.

I did the same myself earlier with a Leptobotia, so deleted the single file and re-uploaded it to the L file.

It's L in there! :wink:

Martin.
Until my fifth, this will be a tentative dance. I'm sure it can be done smoothly soon. What's this with your fear of keyboard shortcuts? Telling someone that if they press more than one key at a time reduces a step should be a revelation.

Martin: You have a PC, right? Control+c is an easier way to copy for me than to go through the upper Edit options. Control+v is paste. Practice at it and you'll begin to use it.

In book design programs, on a Mac, there are literally hundreds of combinations for keypad shortcuts. Apple+Shift+close square brackets equals a smart apostrophe, for instance. If you can survive the code, it really does shave hours off your job.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Until my fifth, this will be a tentative dance. I'm sure it can be done smoothly soon. What's this with your fear of keyboard shortcuts? Telling someone that if they press more than one key at a time reduces a step should be a revelation.

Martin: You have a PC, right? Control+c is an easier way to copy for me than to go through the upper Edit options. Control+v is paste. Practice at it and you'll begin to use it.

In book design programs, on a Mac, there are literally hundreds of combinations for keypad shortcuts. Apple+Shift+close square brackets equals a smart apostrophe, for instance. If you can survive the code, it really does shave hours off your job.
Mark: Be sure to leave your pages in their default state (Public-draft). That makes it easier for me to see what's new. I go through and change pages to published once I add the photo search footer.

Martin: Now I've only got about 20 more image searches to add. And, those pages are all marked public-draft so they're easy to identify. But, it's too late tonight for more computer work...

I'd die without keyboard shortcuts! CTRL-C for copy, CTRL-V for paste, CTRL-Z for Undo, just to get started. Then, in the editor on the new site, SHIFT-ALT-B for boldface, SHIFT-ALT-I for Italic, etc...

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 pm

Mark, have you finished with those profiles you've been doing?

Great job by the way. It's nice to have some help.

I ask because I'm assuming that you've not noticed that you've been a victim of the "Moving text" monster that is this program. What you see is not what you get.

You have some pictures overlapping Title lines and in the Batik Loach profile your photo caption is about 3.5" away from the photo it refers to.

And there's the Notes Inbetween??? Oh.....and your external link ended up in the photo caption area, seperated from the text it was with.

Every time you move something, stuff below it will move also. I find I go save, check, save, check a lot to get it to look how I want, but then Jeff tells me it will move around again a bit on other monitors.

In the P. myersi prof. you need to space the Clown and 'Back' link down about 3-4 clicks. I find it moves a lot near pictures. You probably had it spaced correctly in your build screen, but it moves up when you save. I've discovered a bunch of PITA things that happen.

You have to check the profile again and again after saving any change to see what happened if anything.

Have fun :lol:

Martin.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:42 pm

I'll go and have a look - again! Quite a lot of steps, eh?

I'm leaving the (green) recent profiles open so JS can see what's been going on. Methinks he'll be falling behind any minute!

These are a nice break between packing boxes...

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:48 pm

When you're done, you can take them out of navigation by checking the box in properties. They'll still be flagged green in the changes box at bottom left which Jeff can see all of. It just unclutters the navigation area for anybody else.

Isn't packing fun :roll: ?

Martin.