Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:56 pm

Oh, and whitespace is your friend! It's like... peace.... and tranquility... :D

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 am

Looks good. No hanging text feet... 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:28 am

Ok, now I'm only a day behind Martin and Mark with about 20 profiles left to add the search to. But when they're at full speed there's no way I can keep up!

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:17 am

I know the feeling Jeff! :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:30 am

I did it! I caught up! :D

Wow, the species index looks FANTASTIC! So many wonderful profiles! It looks better and better every day. Thank you all so much!

FYI, I've got a lot of non-Loach related work to do this week, and I'll be gone on vacation for a week starting this Saturday the 18th. Far away from the Internet and cell towers for at least part of the time. So, things will be pretty much on autopilot until I return.

Thanks,

Jeff

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 am

I tried creating a link on the Articles page to the Intro To Botia article and once again have done it wrong. :roll: Sorry. I've tried deleting it but it the page just comes up with an error message. I think I'll leave the link for someone else to create, and would appreciate some pointers as to what I've done wrong so I know what I should be doing next time.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am

Emma Turner wrote:I tried creating a link on the Articles page to the Intro To Botia article and once again have done it wrong. :roll: Sorry. I've tried deleting it but it the page just comes up with an error message. I think I'll leave the link for someone else to create, and would appreciate some pointers as to what I've done wrong so I know what I should be doing next time.

Emma
Emma, what you did was create a Link object and add it to the Articles folder. That's not what we're talking about when we ask for a link to your article. Instead, go to the articles page that has the bullet list of articles we're written so far, hit the edit button, and add yours to the list. You can use the internal site link button in the editor (that looks like a paperclip) to make the text into a link to your article.

I went and deleted that link you added. (FYI, the only place on the site I've used that type of link object is the FORUMS link in the navigation bar)

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:09 pm

Thanks Jeff, hopefully I've done it ok now. :) I couldn't see how to create an indent in the description text so that it is slightly offset like some of the others are though.

Emma

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:55 pm

Emma Turner wrote:Thanks Jeff, hopefully I've done it ok now. :) I couldn't see how to create an indent in the description text so that it is slightly offset like some of the others are though.

Emma
There's two buttons in the control bar (where you set boldface, italics, etc.) that indent and un-indent a list item. They're to the LEFT of the insert picture button. Anyway, I took care of it. Thanks!

Jeff

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for that Jeff. I thought that may be what I had to do, but didn't want to click on the button for fear of messing up again! :roll: :lol:
Emma

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:32 pm

Hey Emma....check this out:

http://community.loaches.com/articles/s ... -aquariums

I call that giving good credit for the photos :)

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:45 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Hey Emma....check this out:

http://community.loaches.com/articles/s ... -aquariums

I call that giving good credit for the photos :)

Martin.
Looks great Martin. :D

Is the bamboo supposed to have that black background on it, instead of transparent or white? It looks kinda odd.

Jeff

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Darned Bamboo! I got it off the web somewhere and thought it had a transparent background (or seemed to) I was going to do some editing on it in Paint and changed the background colour to define the edges better.

When I went to change it back it would go any colour but white (which should have meant it was transparent right?) I left it as black. I agree it doesn't look as neat as just the stick itself would look. Take it out if you want. I'm not fussy :)

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:14 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Darned Bamboo! I got it off the web somewhere and thought it had a transparent background (or seemed to) I was going to do some editing on it in Paint and changed the background colour to define the edges better.

When I went to change it back it would go any colour but white (which should have meant it was transparent right?) I left it as black. I agree it doesn't look as neat as just the stick itself would look. Take it out if you want. I'm not fussy :)

Martin.
Ok, I fixed the bamboo image and made the background transparent. You can see it on the Sewellia lineolata page.

Hopefully people can figure out what it is. :D I'd have to think for a bit before getting the whole loach / bamboo reference. Anyway, we'll probably adjust these header/footer "style" images on all the pages once I get a chance to change the whole page theme, so it's not a big deal. But, the animated "Back to Species Index" loach icon is definitely staying; I love that little guy!

Jeff

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:35 pm

Oh, did everyone notice we're down to only 40 more profiles in this forum? It's only been *TWO WEEKS* since the community site was first opened and I gave everyone access, and look what's been accomplished in that time! You're all incredible!

I think we'll definitely be able to start advertising the site in December and redirecting old profiles to the new profiles automatically. (I've got some things to do first to prepare the site for higher traffic levels than 4-5 moderators. I upgraded our account today to a higher level to get more memory, but I want to install additional software as well).

Anyway, I have to go pack. Plane leaves first thing tomorrow morning, and I have *nothing* ready thus far!