Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks, Jeff. Is it ok to add images to these articles?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:55 am

Martin Thoene wrote:Obviously you'll need Jeff's reply on that before starting (or not) the process.

Am I understanding this right? Mark is saying that....

Nemacheilus X, Nemacheilus Xa, Nemacheilus Xb, Neomacheilus X, Neomacheilus Xb

should read:

Nemacheilus X, N. Xa, N. Xb, Neomacheilus X, N.Xb

That it?

Aspirin............................:wink:

Martin.
It's up to Shari. I found a "easy" way to take the Excel file (or another web page table) and paste it into the site as a page, so I can do it. Or, if it's only a few edits, she can edit the community page directly. Whatever you prefer.

Pretty soon, though, we'll have all of the species linked on the community site to their final pages. Then, it'll be easier to edit in-place, and not lose all the new links.

Jeff

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 am

Emma Turner wrote:Thanks, Jeff. Is it ok to add images to these articles?

Emma
Absolutely, that would be great! I've added an "Images" folder underneath Articles. Maybe we can put images that belong to articles there?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Ok. I'll make the update and send you the updated file shortly, Jeff. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:08 pm

shari2 wrote:Ok. I'll make the update and send you the updated file shortly, Jeff. 8)
Sounds good. When I get it I'll put it online, so we have the most up-to-date version at the community site.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Martin Thoene wrote: That's a can of worms there Mr Administrator :wink:

I know for a fact that you'll find a whole mixture of yes's and no's to that.

Because we've been inputting photos into a regular Forum Page format, the sources have been multiple in size. Personally, what I've done is chosen pics from the existing index that will basically fit the page. All my personal photos, or ones I've used from the Coppermine (Emma's for instance) are often the "normal_" version because the full-size photo as loaded by the originator is too big to fit.

The original premise of the Coppermine was as a storage facility for possible source images for The Book. Therefore, because of publishing requirements all inputs went in at max resolution available (Mine are 2048 x 1536), but a lot of subsequent uploads were specifically edited to be posted within forums and are generally a third of that size.

What I'm saying is that photos as currently in our new profiles do not necessarily represent the largest file available, but a larger file (or the original unedited version) may be available.

So it's quite feasible to acquire larger format pictures for a lot of these profiles, but it's extra work involved. I have lots of 2048 x 1536 images, but they're now on CD's in original, unedited form. Anything recently posted on a forum is in the Coppermine and represents an edit with cropping, sharpening, editing, color balancing, etc for optimum appearance.

Certain images (not mine) I've used in the profiles I've created could do with editing to iron out some imperfections. There's an awful lot of detail tweaking that can be done in lots of areas.

The fine detailing of everything as we get it into the system is where the possibilities for this new software can absolutely make this new site completely shine compared to many others and absolutely eclipse the user-(somewhat un)friendliness of the old site. Even my short useage yesterday opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Hmmn, that sounds like a lot of work! Yuck! Especially re-editing images, if the only other version you have is the original non-rotated, non-cropped, etc. etc.

How about if we just preserve the original large files from Loaches Online? I'd hate to lose those at least. And if you (or anyone else) has other large files that are easily found and accessible, that would be great, but you don't need to spend a lot of time on it.

NOTE: We can always improve images later. It's really easy, actually. Just go to the image, click edit, and you can upload a larger, enhanced version anytime. It should automatically show up in the species photo gallery and in the thumbnail on the profile page. So, maybe we'd be better off concentrating on moving profiles, and we can fix selected images at a later date.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:20 pm

I'm looking at the Index on the Community site.
Martin, since you are looking at the community index, would you please give me some feedback on these last few issues so that I can send Jeff the cleanest/newest version for the community. That way we won't have to keep coming back here to make 'updates'...? 8)

Acanthocobitis sp. (Puma loach?) listed, but no profile on it as yet.
Homaloptera sp (Old entry features multiple species)
Leptobotia sp.(#1)
Protomyzon sp.

If we can finish these off it would be good.
Anyone else have info on what we should do with these?

you know what? nevermind. we can edit there...! :lol:
books. gotta love em!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:37 pm

No, I wasn't thinking of doing fine editing right now, but in most cases you'll find that most of the existing index photos are superceded by vastly better quality pictures, either from us guys or other LOL users. Almost all of those have filename formats that need changing to be searchable, so you need to download to your My Pictures," Save As" ... genus_species_01 and so on, then upload the pics from there.

The original LOL pics are uploaded in an acceptable format, so don't need changing, but you still have to download them to your computer because you can't upload from the picture's URL location.

We had discussed amongst ourselves Jeff the desire to "get rid of the fuzzies"....in other words not utilize old fuzzy pictures unless they represent the only image available for a given species.

I think the files that we've utilized in our revisions are good enough right now. As I've done the majority of profiles I pretty much know which version of an image I used. If it's LOL based, I'll just go to the page and use the biggest image and Save As that to my computer for upload. If a LOL external file says normal_, you'll know there's a bigger version available at the source URL right?

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:02 pm

Updated index sent. jeff, check your mail. 8)
books. gotta love em!

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:28 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:No, I wasn't thinking of doing fine editing right now, but in most cases you'll find that most of the existing index photos are superceded by vastly better quality pictures, either from us guys or other LOL users. Almost all of those have filename formats that need changing to be searchable, so you need to download to your My Pictures," Save As" ... genus_species_01 and so on, then upload the pics from there.

The original LOL pics are uploaded in an acceptable format, so don't need changing, but you still have to download them to your computer because you can't upload from the picture's URL location.

We had discussed amongst ourselves Jeff the desire to "get rid of the fuzzies"....in other words not utilize old fuzzy pictures unless they represent the only image available for a given species.

I think the files that we've utilized in our revisions are good enough right now. As I've done the majority of profiles I pretty much know which version of an image I used. If it's LOL based, I'll just go to the page and use the biggest image and Save As that to my computer for upload. If a LOL external file says normal_, you'll know there's a bigger version available at the source URL right?
Right, I'm not going to add in new photos or re-use the old fuzzy ones. I'll use the ones you've selected in the profiles already.

Yes, if the file name says _normal, or _small, the you know there's a bigger version online. That's a great method, actually, so we don't have to check unless we see that!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:07 pm

I tried adding a photo for that article but I think I may have added it in the wrong place (told you I have a lot to learn with this computer stuff :? ). I've tried deleting it but it won't let me. I have been having a few problems with my ISP today, so don't know if that's why it won't let me delete.

Any guidelines on what I need to do to add a photo to the article would be appreciated, when you've got the time.

Many thanks,

Emma

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Emma Turner wrote:I tried adding a photo for that article but I think I may have added it in the wrong place (told you I have a lot to learn with this computer stuff :? ). I've tried deleting it but it won't let me. I have been having a few problems with my ISP today, so don't know if that's why it won't let me delete.

Any guidelines on what I need to do to add a photo to the article would be appreciated, when you've got the time.
Hi Emma,

You're very close! You created the image on the website correctly, but uploaded the wrong type of file. You need to upload a JPEG or GIF or PNG image. A "pspimage" (Paint Shop Pro?) isn't what we're looking for, since everyone needs that program to view it then. I'm sure you can export your image as one of those types. Then, just edit the old image file on the website and upload the new version on top of the old one.

Once you do that, you can edit your article and use the Insert Photo button to add the image to the article.

For future reference, the delete function is a bit dodgy at the moment. (i.e. Actions->Delete just gives an error). If you have problems, go to the page/image you want to delete, then go up to the folder that contains it. (Such as your member folder). The little navigation horizontal bar below the logo will be invaluable in that task. Then, click Contents to view every item in the folder. You can select the item and delete it from that screen.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:07 pm

shari2 wrote:Ok. I'll make the update and send you the updated file shortly, Jeff. 8)
Thanks Shari, I've got it and posted it on the site.

Jeff

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks very much, Jeff. :D I've managed to insert the image into the article (very pleased with myself :lol: ), but am not sure why the photo is still available (on it's own) under the Articles section. Can this be removed without taking the other copy of it out of the article?

Emma

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Emmmmmaaaa.......you're going to hate me :evil: I thought I would be ever so helpful you see and deleted that extra picture file......but it also took out the inserted pic in your article :oops: ......so I think I answered your Q......but not quite how you wanted to find out.

Image Sorrrrry mate! :?

Jeff....I've done the River-Tank manifold design article and it's in the Articles file, but doesn't appear in the list with Emma's article?

:oops: Martin :oops:
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.