Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 pm

Hey Martin, since you seem to be using the site a lot, what's a good time for me to take the server down to do some of this maintenance? Friday night or Saturday night?

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:45 pm

shafer wrote:
Martin Thoene wrote:I noticed a glitch this afternoon. I completed Neogastromyzon crassiobex and when I went to the Index to code the name in the list to link to the profile, the profile did not come up in any list I could look at and click on to make the link?

It's there now though and I just completed the process :)
Yes, I've noticed that too. Something (the web browser, the front-end web server, the application server) is caching an old copy of the file list and not displaying the most recent version with the new document. Sometimes, saving the page, hitting reload, and then trying to make the link again will fix it. Other times, coming back later (after the old version expires) will fix things.

Anyway, upgrading the cache system to the latest version (we're at a pre-release version now) is a high priority for me. Maybe that'll just fix it.

Jeff
I kind of figured it was catching up. I'm intending to do as many of the low image number Hillstream profiles as I can one by one tonight, because I'm getting that quick at it now that I can knock them out fast. I just did another and same thing happened. It's a bit of a pain, because I like to check out all the linking parts as much as I can before I go on to the next one.

Tomorrow, I think I will get into the Syncrossus as the way we've got that planned requires a lot of cross-referencing. I want to incorporate the current article (old LOL) about IDing them with my composite photo that I made up and have links going out to each individual species,to each other, plus back to the article, etc.

Having done the Orthogoniata Complex this morning, I think it's easier to do a kind of batch like this when there's some kind of linking article involved. I design it 3-dimensionally in my head if you like :wink:

I think after doing that tomorrow, taking the server down will be good. I'll need a rest :) Probably going out for a fair chunk of Saturday, so if I'm keen when I get back I may do some more Saturday night.

Getting the cache working will be good. I'm finding pages take a while to load sometimes and fragment horizontally when you scroll.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:16 pm

Martin Thoene wrote: I kind of figured it was catching up. I'm intending to do as many of the low image number Hillstream profiles as I can one by one tonight, because I'm getting that quick at it now that I can knock them out fast. I just did another and same thing happened. It's a bit of a pain, because I like to check out all the linking parts as much as I can before I go on to the next one.

Tomorrow, I think I will get into the Syncrossus as the way we've got that planned requires a lot of cross-referencing. I want to incorporate the current article (old LOL) about IDing them with my composite photo that I made up and have links going out to each individual species,to each other, plus back to the article, etc.

Having done the Orthogoniata Complex this morning, I think it's easier to do a kind of batch like this when there's some kind of linking article involved. I design it 3-dimensionally in my head if you like :wink:

I think after doing that tomorrow, taking the server down will be good. I'll need a rest :) Probably going out for a fair chunk of Saturday, so if I'm keen when I get back I may do some more Saturday night.

Getting the cache working will be good. I'm finding pages take a while to load sometimes and fragment horizontally when you scroll.

Martin.
Ok, great, I won't touch the equipment until Saturday afternoon then.

The pages should always much faster for our visitors who are not logged in. When a moderator views a page, there's a lot of special work that has to be done to make sure they've viewing a current copy. It can take several seconds if the page must be completely regenerated. But a visitor who can only view a page can read a cached copy from 15 minutes ago without any problem, and the cached copy is ready almost instantly.

I agree it's faster to do things in bulk. That's why I add the photo searches in groups of 10-15 at a time. I get in a routine and can do it while watching TV at the same time! :D

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:02 pm

Right, this is now becoming a reality.........

I took my stacked pictures of Syncrossus and incorporated them into Kamphol's old "Hymenophysa Group" article, updating nomenclature and trying to add in odds and ends that show the current availability of knowledge and images that weren't available when he wrote the article originally. I've included the nomenclature changes.

Any idea of the original article's date Jeff?

The only part of this chain that's not there at present are links back to Fishbase from each profile page. Something that I had forgotten with the profiles I've done so far. Do we still want that to be a feature?

One part of the chain that was not shown in the diagram is all the cross-linking I've built in between profiles. You can pretty much nip back and forth all over the place :P

Anyhow, here's the article. Try all the various links to check they all work for everyone please and let me know what you think. Only thing obviously missing right now is the image search icon that Jeff will add. Most species have more pictures uploaded that can be viewed out of the profile.

>Telling Tigers Apart<

Jeff....the only glitch is that the Clown gif absolutely refuses to attach to this article, yet attaches to a profile with absolutely no problem.

What's up with that?

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:39 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Any idea of the original article's date Jeff?
March 2000. And he originally wrote it 11 years before he sent it to me.
Martin Thoene wrote:The only part of this chain that's not there at present are links back to Fishbase from each profile page. Something that I had forgotten with the profiles I've done so far. Do we still want that to be a feature?
That would be nice. We could probably add the links later though. It might be easier to do all at the same time.
Martin Thoene wrote:One part of the chain that was not shown in the diagram is all the cross-linking I've built in between profiles. You can pretty much nip back and forth all over the place :P
It looks great Martin!! I'll catch up and the image search function tonight to everything so far. I only had time to do a handful of articles last night.
Martin Thoene wrote:Jeff....the only glitch is that the Clown gif absolutely refuses to attach to this article, yet attaches to a profile with absolutely no problem.
I don't know what to tell you Martin. I went in to a different article (Hillstream loaches), edited the page, copied the image out with CTRL-C, went to the Tiger page, edited it, and pasted it in with CTRL-V. No problems. When I copy the Clown gif, I always copy the Back To Articles link with it, if that makes any difference. And I use keyboard shortcuts instead of menus, since that's my usual style.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:04 pm

I don't know what to tell you Martin. I went in to a different article (Hillstream loaches), edited the page, copied the image out with CTRL-C, went to the Tiger page, edited it, and pasted it in with CTRL-V. No problems. When I copy the Clown gif, I always copy the Back To Articles link with it, if that makes any difference. And I use keyboard shortcuts instead of menus, since that's my usual style.
:o Ooh....now your talking the ways of The Force :wink:

So I can copy the picture and the link as one thing from another source, e.g. another profile, but from the edit mode?

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:31 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:So I can copy the picture and the link as one thing from another source, e.g. another profile, but from the edit mode?
Yes, you can copy it all at the same time. When I put the image search feature on, I end up copying the whole bottom half of the page at once, starting from the photo gallery header. Then I just change the image search link and I'm done.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:04 pm

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Nice work. Were I not embroiled in the wildflower book, I'd be right there. Keep it up, though. Amazing progress in a few short months!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:21 am

The Loach Almanac is now over there.

We will need to get into it and bring it up to date, but it's a great starting point.

http://community.loaches.com/care/the-loach-almanac

Martin.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Jeff, are you going to upgrade me, or am I missing something?

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:27 pm

Whatcha mean "upgrade" Jim?

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Jim Powers wrote:Jeff, are you going to upgrade me, or am I missing something?
Sure, I didn't know you had an account ready. Ok, I've given you Manager access to the site.

Jeff

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:40 pm

If you need any tips Jim, I'm getting pretty good at navigating through inputting stuff now. It's a lot of actions, but I found it really easy to get to a point where I can whip though a profile upload and get it up with all links operational pretty darned quick.

My problem now is that I'm starting to beat the system's loading system. Sometimes i have to wait for something to be available to me to link to.

Jeff's taking the site down this afternoon for some upgrades.

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:24 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:If you need any tips Jim, I'm getting pretty good at navigating through inputting stuff now. It's a lot of actions, but I found it really easy to get to a point where I can whip though a profile upload and get it up with all links operational pretty darned quick.

My problem now is that I'm starting to beat the system's loading system. Sometimes i have to wait for something to be available to me to link to.

Jeff's taking the site down this afternoon for some upgrades.
I'm finished with the upgrade now. It turns out that I had some parameters on the cache misconfigured and it was storing old data (such as which pages and images were available for linking) much longer than it was supposed to. (Reading the manual, instead of just copying the settings off of somebody's web page, really helped!). Anyway, the site should be MUCH faster for anonymous (non logged-in users) now. It might be a little slower for moderators, but you should get more up-to-date information too. Hopefully the problem Martin was experiencing will go away.

Jeff