Loaches Online Community Edition

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:49 pm

Martin: I do notice the spacing difference between the building and saved screens, and I've adjusted some stuff based on that as I went. But I don't know what you're talking about above. When my browser opens the pages they look fine.

On my machine the batik habitat photo is immediately above the caption/credit.

How are you viewing these pages?
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Let me explain what I'm seeing:

The habitat photo appears immeadeately under Water Parameters:

Temperature: 68ºF to 79ºF (20-26°C)

Breeding: This species has been bred in captivity using a spawning mop. Follow this link for an article about breeding Batik loaches:

stacked like that to it's right

URL for the link immedeately under the photo, as if it's the caption.

Notes:
This is certainly one of the most attractive brook loaches found in the aquarium trade today. Its fiesty behavior can be very entertaining to watch and should be considered while choosing tank mates. It can be kept in groups (provided there are sufficient hiding places) or alone.

1.5" gap

Mesonoemacheilus triangularis natural habitat near Chalkudy, Kerala, India.
Credit: Deepak Nopany

------------------------------------------------- Clown Loach Logo - Animated
--------------------------------------------------< Back to Species Index Page

"Just like that"

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Jeff/Martin,

The site is looking great! I LOVE it that the articles are getting over there. Very nice.

I also have noticed that while the species descriptions are not all uniform, that actually appeals to me. Cookie cutter forms are less interesting. 8) Especially in those profiles where so much of the text is repetitive (you know what I mean Martin) seeing them with slightly differing arrangement actually makes that less noticeable. Gets me to actually 'read' the page rather than think, "Oh, yeah, that says the same thing...".

Just my opinion. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah, that occured to me too. The way I'm seeing the Yoyo profile, the picture kind of overlaps into two "sections" of the profile. It works.

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Mark, try resizing your browser window to 1024x768 and you should see what Martin's talking about.

These are the kind of things I usually touch up when I go through pages and publish them, so it's not a big deal and I'm happy to adjust things.

Usually I'll just add a horizontal space in the HTML that clears the entire line (no wrapping) and that makes everything look good. (Add a clear="all" to the br tag in the HTML view). Or, in the case of this page, drag the image down so it doesn't start until the Notes section.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:47 pm

shafer wrote:Mark, try resizing your browser window to 1024x768 and you should see what Martin's talking about.

These are the kind of things I usually touch up when I go through pages and publish them, so it's not a big deal and I'm happy to adjust things.

Usually I'll just add a horizontal space in the HTML that clears the entire line (no wrapping) and that makes everything look good. (Add a clear="all" to the br tag in the HTML view). Or, in the case of this page, drag the image down so it doesn't start until the Notes section.
Ugh! Does anyone in the world have their screens set at that big? Yuck. But I see what Martin means now. I think wrapped text can work well, but I can see that it suits more browsers if you have the horizontal space.

You're the publisher, Jeff... I'm just an editor! I think the pages look good, and it's certainly coming along. Please let me know if there's anything I can do at input level to make your life easier.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:52 pm

I actually have a rather wide screen monitor. Many pages I view end up with the 'frame' being overwritten by the text. Rather annoying...
books. gotta love em!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:11 pm

This is a test.

I want to see what this look likes from a link:

http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... -lineolata

Hmmmmm.......I've looked at it 5 times or so now and every time the last photo doesn't appear????

(that's the Male sitting on a rock with bubbles rushing by)

I can see it on the site ok :roll:

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:44 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Ugh! Does anyone in the world have their screens set at that big? Yuck. But I see what Martin means now. I think wrapped text can work well, but I can see that it suits more browsers if you have the horizontal space.
Huh? 1024x768 is average now for a computer monitor. (I'm assuming that the web browser is filling the screen). Here are the sizes of our visitor's monitors taken from Google Analytics, which is tracking Loaches Online.

1024x768 - 50% of visitors
1280x1024 - 19%
800x600 - 12%
1280x800 - 6%
1152x864 - 4%

So, only 12% of the viewers are using a size below 1024x768, which is the new "minimum" resolution in web page design. Just look at what high-traffic sites like CNN are using. Their pages only fit in a window at least 1024 wide, without scrolling.

This is why our pages need to look good at that size. (Personally, I run at 1600x1200 and make sure they look decent even larger, although it's not my target size)

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:This is a test.

I want to see what this look likes from a link:

http://community.loaches.com/species-in ... -lineolata

Hmmmmm.......I've looked at it 5 times or so now and every time the last photo doesn't appear????

(that's the Male sitting on a rock with bubbles rushing by)

I can see it on the site ok :roll:

Martin.
Whoa Martin! Slow down with the floating images buddy!

Personally, that page has way too many images on it for a species profile. But, even with that many images, there's too many that are floating left and right to have any hope of lining up correctly on a flexible page. If you want to do something like that, you're going to have to get more advanced and start sticking images in a table (a plain table with no border).

When you have that many images on a page floating, I have a really hard time as a viewer figuring out what caption goes with what image. Especially when some are on the left and some are on the right.

But, I see the male on the rock with the bubbles rushing by. No problem.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Interesting that 19% are using 1280x1024

Thats my preference.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:50 pm

shari2 wrote:I actually have a rather wide screen monitor. Many pages I view end up with the 'frame' being overwritten by the text. Rather annoying...
Shari, can you post a screen snapshot of that when it happens? (Hit the print screen button on your keyboard. You can paste it into a photo editor, or even Microsoft word and email it to me).

Oh, and what web browser are you using? I think I keep asking but never get an answer. (At least that I remember! :D )

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:03 pm

My screen res is 1440x900.
I sent you one. Others are even worse. :lol:

Updated Firefox 2.0 (but I think I already told you... 8) )
books. gotta love em!

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:13 pm

shari2 wrote:My screen res is 1440x900.
I sent you one. Others are even worse. :lol:

Updated Firefox 2.0 (but I think I already told you... 8) )
Phew, thank goodness! I was afraid you were talking about our new community site! Yes, lots of other sites on the internet don't scale well to large monitors and the background image starts repeating. (Although, the example you sent from caloriesperhour.com was particularly annoying!). Even the old Loaches Online background starts tiling (repeating) on my monitor at the extreme edge.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:17 pm

So how come googel analytics hasn't got my size on there? 8)

nevermind...one person hardly makes a percentage. :lol:
books. gotta love em!