Pangio shelfordii **

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cybermeez

Pangio shelfordii **

Post by cybermeez » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:31 pm

*Work in progress*

Scientific Name: Pangio shelfordii (Popta, 1903)

Common name: Borneo Loach, Shelford's Loach, Spotted Eel Loach, Spotted
Kuhli Loach.

Synonyms: Acanthophthalmus shelfordi, Acanthophthalmus muraeniformis.

Distribution: Southern Malay Peninsula and Indonesia.

Sexual Dimorphism: Females probably noticeably plumper when loaded with eggs like other Pangio species.

Maximum size: 3 inches (8cm)

Similar to: Pangio piperata but can be distinguished from P. piperata by its larger size.

Care: All kuhlis need well-established aquaria and should not be considered for newly set up tanks.
This is one of the cool water kuhlis and will begin to experience discomfort at temperatures above 79°F (26°C). This fish likes a soft substrate with lots of hiding places and plants. Best kept in groups, the larger the better. Three fish is the absolute minimum that should be kept together.

Feeding: Easily fed. Accepts good quality flake, sinking pellets, thawed frozen Bloodworm, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, etc.

Water parameters: pH: 6.0-5.5. Hardness: Soft

Temperature: 72-77F (22-25°C)

Breeding: Not bred in aquaria.

Notes: This kuhli has a unique color pattern of irregular brown blotches along the midline of the fish, sometimes forming a lateral stripe. Its back is finely mottled sometimes with a row of dark saddles over a pinkish background. There is a vertical black blotch at the base of the tail and the fins tend to be a mottled tan.
Last edited by cybermeez on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My best friend is a cat.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:45 am

Robin! Great to see you back here! :D :D :D

With regards to P. shelfordii, there seem to be many regional colour variants. We have some in-store, which I believe Graeme has at home now (if I remember rightly), and these have no pattern, just a purpley/greeny sheen. I posted pics a while back - might have even been on the old forum - and one of the Asian loach boffins said they were a Thailand variant. Should these be included on this profile?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:04 am

shelfordi is a can of worms (haha!). There's about a million different possibilities for appearance.

I'm not sure we ever had a picture for the book actually. I'm sure we could get permission to use someone's pics though.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.