Very late style guide

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Very late style guide

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:58 pm

As I'm moving over so many excellent pieces onto the new index, I'm seeing the same errors occur over and over, and there are a couple of useful things we could do - or avoid - to make less work.

One thing - please don't include links in the descriptions. These all have to be removed and then re-linked on the new site. Otherwise, we just link to our "practice" description pages.

This is a lot to digest, but only proper nouns are capitalized, people! There is no such thing as Cocktail Shrimp or Bloodworms. You can capitalize Mysis shrimp, IMO, but that's the exception.

And there is no need to end fragmented sentences with a period:

Distribution: India, China, Thailand

No period at the end. We should only use periods to end complete sentences.

Well, this is way late and everything, but if more descriptions are going to be generated, we might as well develop some standardized rules. I must say, though, that it's a totally impressive list and some of the entries are very well done. I'm sorry I did not generate more of them, but at least I can help with the transfers.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:23 pm

...and Mysis should be italicized because it's a Latin name.

I have found on occasion that the existing links have been a good reminder to put one in, and replacing the existing one is no prob because you just overwrite it basically. Mind you, saying that, I've been adding way more links than we ever had before.

On occasion earlier, the article links were left on external because they linked back here. Now I've moved some articles, I just change the links to the appropriate internal at the community.

Because i've done so many of these, my brain right now just goes "bing" every time it sees something there's an existing entry in existence for. So I link to it, and when I've finished the profile I test all the links. That brings up the other profile and particularly in "Similar to:" cases, there's a link back. I'm sure I'll miss some, but in the future others will see a possible link and it can be put in then. That's the beauty of this system.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah, my brain is also going "bing" from time to time! Repetitive series bings, I think.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:03 am

Yes Mark! Is good. (shouldn't be a period there either!)
I did mention that one issue a bit ago... 8)

I will attempt to create some quiet time so that I can figure it out and be more helpful moving things. May have to arrange something, but definitely need a day with no distractions! :roll:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:48 am

If you follow those instructions I sent, you should be able to work it out. Once you know where things are araond the screen, navigating the actions becomes easier.

I've modified my order of doing things slightly from that plan, as I've dicovered a way that maybe saves a few seconds. Same actions, just mixed the ored slightly.

Martin.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:43 am

I save all the images first, upload them first, and then create the page all at once, with images in place. Save. Correct all the bold/italics, placement. Add the clown and insert all the links.

Faster but still tedious.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:45 pm

Yes Mark, that's basically my modus operandi now.

I save the pics, create a page, post over the text, save, load photos, copy the Clown, open the profile, paste the Clown, add the back link, go back up top and work my way down, changing text style and inserting pics as I go.

If I'm unsure about any text wrapping of a pic, I'll save and have a look-see, then adjust spacings of text if required.

Wham-bam, thankyou m'am.

I re-check any and all cross links with other profiles and add ones to the profile I just did as necessary.

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Yes Mark, that's basically my modus operandi now.

I save the pics, create a page, post over the text, save, load photos, copy the Clown, open the profile, paste the Clown, add the back link, go back up top and work my way down, changing text style and inserting pics as I go.

If I'm unsure about any text wrapping of a pic, I'll save and have a look-see, then adjust spacings of text if required.

Wham-bam, thankyou m'am.

I re-check any and all cross links with other profiles and add ones to the profile I just did as necessary.

Martin.
You guys don't have to bother with the clown. Maybe I wasn't clear before when I said don't worry about it, but I delete the clown when I paste in my image search footer. (Because it's a big table and the clown is just one element in that object).

Jeff

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:57 pm

So you don't need the < Back to Species Index Page either?

Martin.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:So you don't need the < Back to Species Index Page either?
Correct, I don't need it either.

Jeff

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Hooray! I'm suddenly 20% faster at these things!