Pangio filinaris profile

For completed articles/profiles that have been moved to the community site. (This archive will be saved, but is HIDDEN from non-moderators and Google to prevent visitors from coming here instead of the current site)

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Pangio filinaris profile

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:54 pm

*Work in progress*

Scientific Name: Pangio filinaris (Kottelat & Lim, 1993)

Common name: Kuhli Loach

Synonyms: None

Distribution: Malaysia: Pahang basin and Terengganu

Sexual Dimorphism: Females probably noticeably plumper when loaded with eggs as seen with other Pangio species. Males are said to possess obviously thickened third pectoral fin rays.

Maximum size: 5cm (2")

Similar to: Pangio oblonga.

Care: All kuhli loaches require mature aquaria and should not be considered for newly set up tanks. A soft sandy substrate should be provided with lots of shady hiding places amongst bogwood and plants. As with other species of kuhli loach, these fish are best maintained in groups of three or more. However, given the rarity of this particular species and the fact they have only shown up in other fish shipments as 'contaminants', it may not be easy to source that many specimens. In such cases, it would be wise to provide them with company of similar species, such as P. oblonga.

Description: Pangio filinaris is not commonly seen and is uniform in color (reddish brown), except for the belly area, which is lighter. The anterior nostril is pierced at the anterior base of a long nasal barbel. The body is comparitively deep, its depth 8.0-9.6 times in SL. Dorsal fin with 2 rudimentary, 1 simple, and 6 branched rays, last one split to the base. Pectoral fins with 8 rays, the 2nd ray thicker (the 3rd ray even thicker in males). Pelvic fin has 5 rays, anal fin inserted almost immediately behind vent, with 2 rudimentary, 1 simple and 5 branched rays, last one split to the base. Caudal fin emarginate, with 8+8 principal rays (7+7 branched). Three pairs of barbels, two pairs of rostral ones and one at each angle of mouth reaching about vertical of posterior margin of eye. Anterior nostril at the front side of a barbel reaching about to middle of eye. Caudal and dorsal grey-brown, other fins hyaline.

Feeding: Sinking catfish pellets/granules, flake/crisps, small frozen foods such as mosquito larvae, daphnia, brineshrimp, baby brineshrimp, cyclops etc.

Water parameters: pH: 6.0-7.0, Hardness: Soft, Max dH: 12.

Temperature: 24-26 deg C (75-79 deg F)

Breeding: There are currently no reports of this species breeding in the home aquarium.

Notes: The etymology of the name filinaris is from the Latin: filum, thread, and naris, nostril - an allusion to the anterior nostril whose rim is modified into a barbel.

A wider distribution of this species is expected in the Malay peninsula, but has not yet been confirmed.

Pangio filinaris is apparently often erroneously referred to in aquarium literature as P. mariarum (or P. mariae). This identification is likely to be based on the colouration and the presence of a nasal barbel. However, Pangio filinaris is said to be distinguished from P. mariarum (known only from northern Borneo) by a smaller size (35 mm SL, vs 68 ), a deeper body (body depth 8.0-9.6 times in SL, vs. 10.8-13.5), pectoral of male not curled upwards (vs. curled upwards), fewer pelvic rays (5, vs. 6) and slightly less vertebrae. The specimen shown in the photographs here is approximately 5cm SL. Whilst this is larger than the measurements given for those specimens of P. filinaris that have so far been studied, it does have only 5 anal fin rays, which means that it cannot be P. mariarum. It is also of the correct body depth.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:58 pm

I'll be moving this over in a bit, along with The Dark One's photos (which I've added his 'real' name onto).

Em

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Done.
Hopefully all is ok. :wink:

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 am

Looks great Emma! :-) I'll add the link to the photo gallery later today when I have the time...

Jeff

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Jeff, I don't know if you've done much work lately with LOL, but there were quite a few recent additional profiles where no photo search was set up.

Another Q I had was what is the score with ability to host video files? Lately, some quite significant vids have been taken that could provide useful behavioural info to people. It would be great if they could be hosted in-house.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shafer
Site Admin

Post by shafer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi Martin, the last updates I did were on September 2nd, so anything added since then still needs to be done. I log in periodically and do these updates in batches and will try to do the next one soon.

Regarding videos, I was hoping that the new version of the software would provide a better built-in capability for large files, but the feature got bumped to the next release. (BTW, some of the features in the latest version look nice to have, such as version control and automatic link checking. See http://plone.org/products/plone/feature ... -all-pages I'm thinking of upgrading in a few months once any bugs get worked out).

Back to the videos, how many are there, and how big are they? Maybe I can free up space on the old server and we can put them there and link to it from the main site.

Jeff