Albino Bichir Sick

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KRoth

Albino Bichir Sick

Post by KRoth » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:09 pm

I have an albino bichir who has developed a pencil eraser sized ulcer on his back. White in the middle and a thin dull red along the edges. I believe what might have happened is he got light burned. There are several floating plants near the surface and he often parks himself in them but on one particular day I remember seeing his back exposed out of the water and I think he might have gotten a slight sunburn from the aquarium light. I have him in a quarentine tank that does not have a light and dosed the water with tetracycline and vitamins. Was afraid to use aqaurium salt as this might be an open wound. Any thoughts or remedies?

Thanks

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Bichers are one of those groups that you need to be very cautious about medicating.

Keeping the water really clean is the best. If he is doing OK with the meds you are now using, just keep up with that.

Do yo know what species this one is?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

KRoth

Post by KRoth » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Polypterus senegal senegalus is the latin name. Careful in medicating how? Dangerous or ineffective? He is a really cool species so I would love to keep him alive. Thanks for the reply

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:35 pm

here is a link to some suggested dosing of many fish medicines when you are medicating a Bicher.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... 04564.html

I have 4 Senegals in a 125 gallon, but have not had to medicate this tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

KRoth

Post by KRoth » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:04 pm

That was a great link...Thanks!! Unfortunately he did die a few days ago. I think I will stay away from tetracycline for now on. I had a case of popeye on a leaf fish and a this case on the bichir. Quarentine and tetracycline were not the answers. Hopefully this won't happen again but I will try the suggestions in the article you provided next time. Thanks again!