Floating, a little bit.

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Floating, a little bit.

Post by andyroo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Our largest Y. modesta lives in the longest bamboo tube, and defends this prize spot with great gusto. Quite antisocial.
I did a big vacuum & water-change & remodel yesterday (in part trying to get everyone to play nice again- a little too much bruising showing these days) and today the blue bruiser was in her tube, but at the top. She's eating, scrapping, active, upright and not bloated or panting or anything, she just seems to be going up rather than down. It's not a strong float, just enough to gently keep her in the wrong spot. If she's "lying down" she's towards the side or top, and if she's upright her dorsal is touching the roof.
I'm not expecting this to be a major problem (touch wood) and am crossing my fingers that it's some sort of gut-gas (I've seen loaches fart) rather then a dangerous swim-bladder issue.
A
ps: the change-around didn't work. They're back to excessive scrapping, though they're loving the greater current. Might be time for a heap more bamboo. More mods and clowns are on list for special-order as well.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 am

Problem seems to have passed. Gas, i guess.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:16 pm

I was about to say that the large water change might of been overly stressful and caused some osmoregulation or acclimation problems. Bloating and swim bladder problems are the most common symptoms.

Good to hear that the fish already better.