flashing question

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cloudgodd

flashing question

Post by cloudgodd » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:56 am

will clown loaches flash even if nothing is wrong?

there are no spots, there is no red gills, they are hanging out at the bottom, they are not breathing heavy.

I have 4 of them and only 2 seem to do it.

oh and they are doing it to the flat tumbled river stones(aquarium safe) I just added. not really anything else.

oh and it was right after I took out there vegetable.

Bully

Post by Bully » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 am

I'm not sure about clowns, but I know my striata and sids do this. At first I was worried and spent weeks waiting for a condition to present. After weeks of observation I concluded that it was in fact another facet of their hierarchy and now I no longer worry about it. It's almost as though a sub-dominant loach will approach a larger loach and "flash" it's underbelly to show that it's approaching without threat. Many species of fish do this from my understanding, I know many gourami do something similar.

Have there been any other changes to the tank? Medications added, change in the pH, TDS etc.

random2

Post by random2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:33 am

Might not be, but also check them with a flash light. Velvet is one which is not easily visible.

Had similar problem a day back with my juvi Barilius that I got. Searched a lot and found the flash light comment in a old post. To my horror, they have velvet. Right now at 30c and salt. After 24hours they seem to be ok but will run everything for the whole cycle.
--------------
Regards,
Deepak

cloudgodd

Post by cloudgodd » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:05 pm

yeah I check all that, no ich, no velvet, but my 2.5" inch had a weird mark on his head I treated the tank with a half dose of a parasite med and it and the flashing are gone.

I also read somewhere that they will flash to get food off the bottom.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Hello,

I've never seen my loaches flash to get food off the bottom. They've only flashed when something was bothering them. Ich was bothering them in the three times that I can remember them flashing.

:)

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Hello cloudgodd,

White spots may show up a few days after fish starts flashing so, be advised to start increasing temperature and make sure you have the right medication if necessary.

Let´s hope it´s not Ich but be prepared...

Marcos.
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

emmaorabelle

Re: flashing question

Post by emmaorabelle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:55 am

Hi there,

My loaches never flash to get food off the bottom. Only when anything was upsetting them did they flash. The three times I can recall them flashing, it was because Ich was irritating them. spend elon musk money