Active Ingredients in Interpet no7 - Anti slime and velvet

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cybermeez

Active Ingredients in Interpet no7 - Anti slime and velvet

Post by cybermeez » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:17 pm

Can someone tell me what the active ingredients in Interpet no7 - Anti slime and velvet are? We can't get it here in the US and I'm looking for something similar to kick an extremely virulent case of Ich in one very sick baby Clown.

My usual treatment has not worked and someone in the UK recommended Interpet no7 - Anti slime and velvet.
My best friend is a cat.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:22 am

Unfortunately, Interpet do not disclose what ingredients are in their treatments, even on the trade packs. If I remember correctly, Mick said recently that he'd had a sniff of it and said he thought he could detect formalin.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:53 am

Personally, I find that very odd given the stringency with which they regulate all things medicinal for veterinary use. How is that possible?

Over here, any hazardous chemical (which many fish meds seem to be) require an MSDS Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet. They are a requirement placed on the manufacturers and aren't always easy to get access to, but with some determination you can find one on just about any chemical (and 'articles' like flour!) if you work hard enough.

Maybe if someone contacted Interpet directly? Or is their formulation some kind of secret recipe?
I don't get it...

shari walks off, shaking head in confusion
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:19 am

I have just had a look at a bottle of mine and it just says - contains formaldehyde and methanol.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:05 am

What color is the liquid, green? If it is, then it's also probably got malachite green in it. That combo of formaldehyde, mehtanol and malachite green woul make it the equivalent of the US medication called "Ich-X". mad by Hikari.

The little clown continues to hang on, but he's definitely weakening. Last night I gave him a second saltwater dip of 1 teaspoon kosher salt per cup of water (this time for 8 mins. instead of 10) and that seemed to help a little. Poor little guy. :cry:
Last edited by cybermeez on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My best friend is a cat.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:31 am

I found a store here that carries the Interpet products.

Formaldehyde is indeed the active ingredient listed for no. 7.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:49 am

you can upping the temperature to 86F too and provide aeration... Malachite green is pretty nasty stuff same with formaldelhyde (cancer causing).

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 am

cybermeez wrote:What color is the liquid, green?
Its a very pale almost clear blue, it doesnt really colour the tank water its that pale

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:26 pm

shari2 wrote:Personally, I find that very odd given the stringency with which they regulate all things medicinal for veterinary use. How is that possible?
You're not the only one who finds it odd, Shari. :wink: I've always found this most bizarre, given how strict they are on meds over here.

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:30 pm

mistergreen wrote:you can upping the temperature to 86F too and provide aeration... Malachite green is pretty nasty stuff same with formaldelhyde (cancer causing).
I usually keep my tank around 80F and I've bumped it up to 83F. The poor little guys gills are compromised so I need to me mindful of temp vs. oxygen saturation levels.

Normally I wouldn't consider anthing with formalin because it can be hard to use safely and also impacts oxygen levels, but my tried and true ich tratment strategies have not worked up to this point.

Re: it being carcenogenic......obviously the degree of exposure has an impact on that, but it's always good to use gloves when handling this kind of stuff.
My best friend is a cat.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:47 pm

emma, have you looked at other products,
i used to use WS3 full strength for ich and i can't remember there being a breakdown of what was in it.
but it did work well and also cleared velvet that i had on some Notho fry where the velvet treatments didn't work .

mick

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm

best thing i find is plain old fashioned salt at 1 teaspoon per liter (as long as its marine salt) and methelyne blue. Meth blue is also great for freeing up oxygen.

I use this for a lot of sensitive fish that often get velvet like some wild bettas.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Mick, all the manufacturers labels seem to be pretty much the same (i.e. hardly any info). Formulations must be a closely guarded secret.... :roll:

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Colin wrote:best thing i find is plain old fashioned salt at 1 teaspoon per liter (as long as its marine salt) and methelyne blue. Meth blue is also great for freeing up oxygen.

I use this for a lot of sensitive fish that often get velvet like some wild bettas.
This strain of ich has even resisted salt treatment. In addition to running salt in the tank water, I've done 2 saltwater dips on this little loach. They were 8-10 minutes in 1 teaspoon salt per cup of water. Though it appeared to make the baby clown feel a little better, it's impact on the ich was moderate.
My best friend is a cat.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:12 pm

Marine salt is not pure salt. It has many minerals in it, and is intended to replicate ocean water.
I have use Sodium Chloride for medical treatments, but not marine salt.
Table salt (sodium chloride with anticaking ingredents and iodide) seems to work well, Kosher, Pickling, Aquarium, water softener (NaCl) and other salts without the anticaking stuff or Iodide work, too.
Note that water softeners do not all use sodium chloride.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!