dead clownloach what was the reason?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark Janssen

dead clownloach what was the reason?

Post by Mark Janssen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 am

A friend/member of my own small dutch loach site posted this picture:

anyone who knows what it is?
my loache site

7 Botia histronica's & a couple of sid's/Kuhli's

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:22 pm

That fish has been dead for some time - needs a dissection to diagnose anything if it is internal, probably. More likely some water issue?
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 pm

I can say it doesn't look like septicemia. He is bloated, it seems. Was he bloated before the death? How long was the red cyst/tumor visible? Any other fish sick in the tank?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Is that a cyst or tumor? Looks like an enlarged anus/vent. Blockage perhaps? Maybe related to the bloating. Eggs perhaps?

If you tell the owner to cut the fish open and take a look inside, that would help.

Mark Janssen

Post by Mark Janssen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:13 am

the clown was a female and the red thing wassen't noticed but when it was to late...

It was also the boss in the thank
my loache site

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Impacted or infected ovipositor? Wish I could find an 'anatomy of a clown loach' somewhere, but thus far, no luck.

Can you differentiate between the vent and the ovipositor on a female clown? Should be able to...

Any chance he could take a good look at the fish post-mortem, or is it gone? Analysis of the contents would help alot. Was she loaded with eggs, or was there marked fluid retention? If done very carefully you should be able to trace the egg cavity to the ovipositor and see if there was a blockage, or if there was swelling/blood that could indicate an injury or infection.

If she was the alpha, and had no way to get the eggs out, maybe she either got an infection or was injured. Frequently, males will nudge or even bite at egg laden female's ovipositors when in breeding mode. Did your friend notice whether or not she had a lot of 'followers' prior to her death?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Mark Janssen

Post by Mark Janssen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:45 am

i will awnser the questions tonight (gmt +1) as far as i can. already i (we) am very pleased with al the help you have given us already.
my loache site

diesel

Post by diesel » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:51 pm

I was the owner of the loach and thankfull that Mark is here to help me with this problem(My englisch in writing is bad)

The moment he picture was taken the clown was dead for a few minits.

The water was Ph- 7 KH-4 No2-0 No3-10/15
The behavior was normal exept a few days before her stumic was getting verry bold, at the last day she could not move al the time, and she was brought back bij her pack onder the wood.
When she deseasd i didnt think of dissection, but i should have done it.

She was about 5 years old and always in a good shape.

The clown(Big Mom) is dead for almost a half year, but is stil didnt find any solution wat the problem could be.

I hope you can make something of this post, mark wil help you with the other questions
Grtz
Thor/Diesel :wink:
And thanks all for the help.