mysterious ailment, help needed

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:00 am

just thought i'd give you an update after all the advice you'd given me. (thanks all)
ive been using the anti-bac treatment and although ive not lost any fish since they are still flicking , the colour and finnage are as normal i put in a booster bit of anti bac so i won't do a water change for 2 days and see how this goes.
i'm sure now that what i thought was ich wasn't, if ever i get a shit desease like this again i'll send one of the fish to Doctor pete burgess for his opinion as to what this is.
thanks
mick

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:46 am

Still no idea what it is/was?

Stuff like this really irks me. Drives me crazy when I can't figure it out. :?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:54 pm

The damage done to the flesh of the fish in your pictures look exactly the same as a case I saw only yesterday in a local shop, they had brought in 50 Clown Loach and a group of Brachyramdia Catfish.

Within a week they have 10 clowns left and 2 Catfish and what are left don't look like they will last long :(

Unfortunately the shop in question uses a centralised filtration system and fish in almost every other tank look to be affected in one way or another, the one thing that infuriated me was that they were still selling fish :evil:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:10 pm

i totally agree with you mark, by the time the disease has come through all the tanks have got it, i would never have that system because of things like this.
i'm surprised the SA cat had it, it normally only affects asian fish.

mick

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:06 am

just a final update folks, lost 9 of the rostrata and 1 young kubotai to this ailment, but am happy to say no sign of it has come back to haunt me.

what i still can't understand is all the other fish in the tank were not affected at all, 10 corica's,8 dispar, the zonalternans and the 2 chinese loaches.?
weird or what.

mick