Wounded Chromobotia

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ded1

Wounded Chromobotia

Post by Ded1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:32 am

In my 5 years dealing with clowns, I never had this kind of situation and I am confused how to help the big guy.

Anyway...I almost fell on my bottom few minutes ago, when I saw my biggest clown today. He had scratched his body so terribile that i first thought it is some kind of infection. But while I fed them I took very close look and that is no infection, the guy totally scratched his body and in one place where it is most bad, I can even see nice piece of his flesh. He has scratches all around body, small ones.

I really dont know what to do to help the fish. If it would be sick, I would know what to do...but how do I help with wounds. I keep my water very clear, he has apetite, i will change the part of cave I suspect he got wounds from while squeezing.

Reasons for this terribile wounds are two in my oppinion. Recently I got a clown that is almost his own size ( others are 3, 4 times smaller ), and he is behaving differently. He is entering the cave in the place he never did ( the worst possibile place = scratches...) and he fights with the new competition.

How can I help fish in that condition, what can I do? I kindly ask for any advice.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Have you removed the cave or item causing the injury firstly. Remove anything that can injure your fish. They are bigger now than years ago so re inspect your tank for hazzards at this time.Then or while doing that reconfigure your tank to slow or stop aggressive behavior as all will seek out new homes and swim routes while your fish heals. I use Melafix for the scratches but that has started debate here about side effects.Make sure and stay up on water changes and tank cleaning to reduce the imminent risk of infection

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:02 pm

Tinman wrote:Have you removed the cave or item causing the injury firstly. Remove anything that can injure your fish. They are bigger now than years ago so re inspect your tank for hazzards at this time.Then or while doing that reconfigure your tank to slow or stop aggressive behavior as all will seek out new homes and swim routes while your fish heals. I use Melafix for the scratches but that has started debate here about side effects.Make sure and stay up on water changes and tank cleaning to reduce the imminent risk of infection
My toughts exactly...although I never heard about Melafix...

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:04 pm

What tinman said. Re-arrange to unsettle the territorial issues a bit, make sure there's multiple choices with open, smooth entrances/exits and surfaces.

Can you post a picture? If the wound is down to the flesh, it might need some antibiotic ointment. If it is that deep, I'd consider moving the injured guy into a tank of his own temporarily.

1. It will eliminate the need to defend himself from the other guy. He'll have his own space.

2. Stressed fish are highly susceptible to secondary infections, with an open wound even more so. You can use Melafix as described on the bottle (it's Tea Tree oil). It's mildly antibacterial and may help keep the wound from infection--but it's not an antibiotic.

3. Qtank is easier to keep spotless and clean, plus medicating the whole tank for a wounded fish is uncalled for. Both he and the other fish will be better off if you separate him. Provide a hiding spot that you can see into, that is open enough that he can get inside without having to clamp any fins.
Throw a floating plant or two in there. To be extra safe, I'd bleach the plant in a 1part bleach to 19 parts tank water, then soak it in heavily dechlorinated fresh water before adding to the tank. In fact I'd do that with everything you put in the qtank (except the fish! 8))to try to eliminate any bacterial issues. Can't do that with the filter, but everything else can be cleansed, first.

If you can't find Melafix we may be able to offer another suggestion.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Marcos Mataratzis

Re: Wounded Chromobotia

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 am

Hi Ded1
He has scratches all around body, small ones.
When my biggest clown loach arrived here he got lots of scratches fighting my huge modesta for the same wood cave. Some of them were very deep like you said, showing some inner tisue (see red wound closest to his head).
I did same as Tinman did. I used Melafix on main tank for a couple days. Some scars are still visible on his skin but cicatrization was definetely fast and without any isues.

Good luck
Marcos
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 am

-Shari2

hank you for suggestions. I think they are the only logical things I can do. As far as medication is considered, i don`t know it by that name, but I have really well known aquarist and biologist that is making his own medications for fishes for 30 years...he will know what exactly are you talking about ( tea tree oill...).

As far as picture is considered - Marcos got it again. It is like he took my fish and put the picture of it. That is how it looks, only with one bigger wound in the middle, that wound takes more body space, it doesnt look like a scratch but wound.

- marcos really, it is like you took my fish and took a picture of it. no comment

Thank you guys a lot! You gave me all advices I need. Now it is up to me.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi Ded1,

I´m glad to be of some help. I took another shot today, for comparison, after Melafix treatment:

Notice that red wound is not there anymore and scratches are less visible than on first shot.

Good luck!
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki