What's wrong with my Kuhli?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

amber1dog

What's wrong with my Kuhli?

Post by amber1dog » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Something is wrong with one of my Kuhlis. I have two, that's all the LFS had, and plan to get more once this one is better.

Anyways, the only symptom she has is that she is losing her color. Seriously, it's odd. I don't think it's it a burn (from the light) because it's on her tummy too. The other Kuhli is perfect!

Here's pictures of the healthy loach and the ill one.

Sorry she was in one of the caves at the time! It's the only not blurry picture I could get.

Here's other info:

- The tank temp is about 80*
- Ammonia is 0
- nitrIte is 0
- nitrAte is around 10 or so
- It's NOT fungus
- Non of my other fish have it
- She didn't have it before I left for 5 days, when I came back she did (had someone feeding the fish for me)
- She's eating fine (bloodworms and algae disks)
- I've not changed food recently
- She's still really active and loves to hang out with the other loach

Any ideas anyone? I love this little fish :)

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi Amber1dog,

Welcome to LOL. :)

I have a kuhli that did almost the same thing 8 months ago, just not quite as much color loss as yours has.

It didn't last too long if I remember correctly. Here is another photo of the same loach taken a few months ago.
Today the loach looks the same as the second photo. I'm not sure what it was.

Hope all goes well with your loach. Looks like you are taking excellent care of them.

:)

tattooedgemini

Post by tattooedgemini » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:31 pm

woa... :shock: i've never seen that before.. good to know about though.
i am super mom!...to the kids and the fish...lol

rich

Post by rich » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi amber,
Just had an idea. Do you have any plecos, I'm thinking of the Sturisoma family, in your tank? They are very fond of rasping other fishes skins and some of those fishes keep still until their skin is damaged down to the skales like it looks with your little friend.
rich

don`t grumble, give a whistle (Monty Python)

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:52 pm

rich wrote:Hi amber,
Just had an idea. Do you have any plecos, I'm thinking of the Sturisoma family, in your tank? They are very fond of rasping other fishes skins and some of those fishes keep still until their skin is damaged down to the skales like it looks with your little friend.
So are the sharks, well Ive found Epalzeorhynchos bicolor to do this when the opportunity presents itself.

Ashleigh

Rychek

Post by Rychek » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am

I had the same problem with one of my 2 (at the time) kuhlis. I had a common pleco in with them as well (never considered him to be a problem though). I never did figure out what the cause was, but the color came back after a month or two, but my loach didn't have nearly as much color missing as yours does. Hopefully it will heal quickly.
"If no one makes you do it, it counts a fun" --Hobbes the Tiger

"No trees were harmed in the writing of this message, however, several electrons were GREATLY inconvenienced." --Anonymous

amber1dog

Post by amber1dog » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 pm

hmmm... didn't get an email that people responded, oh well ;)

Okay, so she's still fine and active, she's stopped losing the color, but it hasn't come back.

And no, no plecos or 'sharks' The only other fish was a dwarf puffer, who has since died (of old age) :( (She never even seemed to notice they were there)

I think I'm going to move them to a new tank, a 20L, because I just started college and one less tank sounds like a good idea :) And since the other khuli is fine, I don't think it's anything bacteria related.

Thanks for letting me know it's happened before! Good to know I'm not the only one with a weird fish, although most of my fish fall under the 'weird' category;)

Would you like me to try and get more pictures for the site to have for reference pictures or something?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

thanks for the offer,

if you can get some nice, clear, highres photos that would be great. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

amber1dog

Post by amber1dog » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I have a 10 MP camera (well, my mom does 8) ) so I'll see what I can do :)