Introducing myself and asking a question

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm sorry to hear that the fish are still struggling. Are you using Paragon by Aquatronics? I hate to tell you this, but Aquatronics went out of business several years ago. All their products should have been pulled off the shelves and discontinued long ago. Check the experation date on the pruduct. It must be atleast a few years old and probably not good anymore if it is Paragon.
(edit- Nevermind this. Paragone for Discus is different product)

I have a few other suggestions, maybe not for now, but maybe later. IMO, the tank is severly underfiltered. Not nearly enough bio-filtration for a 120 gallon tank. Biowheels can handle small steady amounts of ammonia, but they don't handle ammonia spikes well at all. Powerhead sponges should only be counted on for mechanical filtration. I suggest looking into a couple of canister filters, in addition to HOB biowheels you have.

IME, Phosphates wouldn't suddenly kill fish either, especially if you've been doing regular water changes and very especially if the Nitrates were only 20 ppm.
I agree with Helen, the phosphates are probably from your water source. My tap water is high in phosphates also. I'm not sure why any LFS would test for phosphates on a freshwater tank. Can anyone answer that? My only guess is to push phosphate remover products. I have serious questions about this LFS.

chooch

Post by chooch » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:57 am

well its a sad mornig
just when i thought i had things under control i had to scoop more fish today and my large clowns arent looking so hot. there is a white film over there eyes and they are being extremly lethargic.
im begining to let it settle in my mind that this maybe a complete loss in my tank but im going to continue to try to remedy this
lets hope things work out im so beside myself that i dont feel like going to work(i have never called off in the 8 yrs ive been there)
we will see
We need some positive vibes for these rainy days, let the sunshine in brighten up the day

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 am

i know there are people here who know exactly how you are feeling.

maybe spending a day trying to get to the bottom of the problem would help you, rather than spending all day at work worrying. it is a better reason that having a hangover, or to look for other jobs, both of which must be more common reasons not to go to work

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm

I once lost 31 of 32 nice fat clowns, due to my malpractice during an ich outbreak. I used a lethal combination of meds on the tank, which was Coppersafe and Triple Sulfa. I was completely devastated about it and didn't talk about it for years.

I hope you can bounce back from this.

New loaches was a good cure for me.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm

I agree that phosphates should not matter and if I were you I'd stop worrying about it at all! There are plenty of other things to worry about. High phosphates may give you extra algae in your tank, especially if you have a lot of light, but thats not going to hurt the fish. I have never heard of anyone being worried about phosphates for the sake of the fish.

Sorry for your losses. I recently lost a lot of loaches, too, and it is not easy.