Please Help!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Kenny_D

Please Help!

Post by Kenny_D » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:32 pm

i purchased a few clown loaches a few months back to help with a snail infestation growing in my tank. however, they're all healthy looking and growing at a good rate except for one. the fish is still about the same size as when i purchased them. his head has grown a little and the fins are worn looking and he looks really thin. there are no diseases affecting the other fish and the tank stays very clean. idk!?! i want to help the little guy! can someone please help??? thanks. - Kenny

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:33 pm

He's probably affected by chronic wasting (skinny) disease. Search the forum and you'll find lots of info on how to treat.
I have had some luck just getting them to eat more - some individuals are finicky. Frozen brine shrimp has been the cure for me, but it doesn't always work. But you probably need to medicate with levamisole hydrochloride. Hope he recovers.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi Kenny, Welcome to Loaches.
Sounds like something called Skinny Disease. Search here at Loaches and you will bring up quite a bit of information.

Basically these Loaches are wild caught, and often bring a few parasites or diseases with them. Under the stress of capture, shipping and so on some Loaches' immune systems are not up to fighting off the various issues, so they get sick.
Also, in the various shipping points and holding points they can be exposed to different parasites and diseases that they might not have been exposed to. Again, under stress, they cannot fight off the new disease, either.
Many diseases and parasites have a certain length of time that they live in the fish before the fish shows signs. You can buy a healthy fish in the store and have it not really thrive like the others, and the problem just shows up, just as it has for you, as the others grow and the one does not.

The treatment can vary, but usually a medicine to kill internal parasites and an anti-bacterial medicine are dosed at intervals that are calculated to best rid the fish of these diseases and parasites. It is a good idea to treat all the fish. They have all been exposed to whatever the issue is. If you treat the one, in a quarantine tank, then the parasites can re-infest him as soon as you return him to the main tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Kenny_D

Post by Kenny_D » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 pm

thank you both for the info. i looked up the "skinny disease" and it does sound like what my "little" guy is suffering from. i'll check to see if my LPS has the treatment mentioned above. i greatly appreciate the time you took to help me! we'll see how he does... thank you again -Kenny