Lead and fish

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DRLashambe

Lead and fish

Post by DRLashambe » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:23 am

Hey folks:

If anyone has any knowledge about this, it would be a real help. We just moved into an older home, and we have one sink that has old lead lined pipes. Didn't think it would be a problem, it is an un-used laundry sink. It turns out, however, that it very close to where we have to put the fish tanks, and is the only tap available without going up a bunch of stairs. Does anyone know what kind of filitration I would need to use this tap? Is there any way to still use this without pulling out all the plumbing?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 am

Look into RO/DI, but by the time you get a proper set up you will have spent enough money to redo the plumbing. (Maybe)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:48 am

Probably best off to run new lines to the basement for the fish. You don't even need to tear out the old plumbing if you don't want to. I would though if it wasn't too much work.

cweg71

testing....

Post by cweg71 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:55 am

Is it possible to have it tested. It may have enough oxidation or gunk covering it that there is no leaching into the water.

DRLashambe

Post by DRLashambe » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 pm

I'll bring some into my LFS. We also have a company here in London (Ontario, Canada) that is one of the world's largest manufacturers of water filtration systems, I might be able to find out through them.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Ask the company that sells water filtration. They likely can test for lead. Remember their motive is to sell you something, but you might get quite a few tests done, and you might actually decide you really do want to buy something.

At this point it is more of comparison shopping: Filter (and what sort of filter) or re-plumbing?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:24 pm

You can also try one of the water conditioners that removes heavy metals.

I'd mention the name of one that does it, but I'd be called a shill again.

Kevin