Formalin and Clown Loaches

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

J-Rod

Formalin and Clown Loaches

Post by J-Rod » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:58 am

Well I just got word from my vet that my tank is infested with with tetrahymena. He wants me to treat with formalin. He says low dose baths should be tolerated by the loaches. does anyone have any input?? THanks

Jarret

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:00 pm

You may want to look at this paper.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041#TABLE_1

"Tetrahymena is a protozoan commonly found living in organic debris at the bottom of an aquarium or vat. Tetrahymena is a teardrop-shaped ciliate ( Figure 4 ) that moves along the outside of the host. The presence of Tetrahymena on the body surface in low numbers (less than five organisms per low power field) is probably not significant. It is commonly found on dead material and is associated with high organic loads. Therefore, observing Tetrahymena on fish, which have been on the tank bottom, does not imply the parasite is the primary cause of death. One treatment of a chemical listed in Table 1 should be adequate for control. "

"Identification of Tetrahymena internally is a significant but untreatable problem. A common site of internal infection is the eye. Affected fish will have one or both eyes markedly enlarged (exophthalmia). Squash preparations made from fresh material reveal large numbers (=> 10 per low power field) of Tetrahymena associated with fluids in the eye. Fish infected with Tetrahymena internally should be removed from the collection and destroyed. "

Credit- UF/IFAS, Introduction to Freshwater Fish Parasites 1,
RuthEllen Klinger and Ruth Francis Floyd