Deformed clown loach

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Deformed clown loach

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 pm

This strange little fella came in with a batch of wild-caught 2.75" clown loaches from Indonesia a few weeks ago. As you can see, he has a deformed head, although this doesn't seem to be causing him any problems whatsoever - he is the most outgoing, lively fish in the tank. He was the only clown that didn't shy away from my camera!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:35 pm

sorry Emma, if that was mine it would be straight in the bin.
it looks like it would have the name ( dolphin clown loach ) haha :wink:

mick
ps, don't show the fish to the czech they'll be churning millions of the ugly buggers out. :lol:

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 pm

I have a similar Clown although nowhere near as pronounced the head is definitely more rounded than normal. As the fish as got older and gained weight the shape has curved more than these photo show. Bought as a 1" youngster in January.. I'll try and get some better pics tonight and post them tomorrow for comparison.

This is him now. 2" in length. Definitely has a rounder profile than other Clowns although like I said nowhere near as deformed as this one.
Last edited by Doc on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:00 pm

that has got to be THE most pitiful fish i've ever seen, but its so cute! :lol:
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Bully

Post by Bully » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Well at least it's a natural deformity. What do you intend to do with it, will it go up for sale?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi Emma,

I think you should keep that Clown for studies on its behavior long term. See if there are any intelligence issues, . . . Since they don't breed easily, there's hardly a chance that its genes it would go into a population. I would certainly keep an unusual fin. It's not his fault he isn't perfect, and doesn't seem to affect him. There's something to say about personality verses beauty. He's not ugly, just doesn't look like a clown (like an ugly duckling that was a swan).

I have a guppy with a crooked spine. Doesn't bother her. I think it is a mechanical defect, since her fry don't have it. She is almost S shaped. I have a danio with a missing eye (he got sick and the other fish removed his eye -- I put him quarantine for 3 months, and he grew strong, and lives with the group again).

I really would keep that fish and study it. Tanja

Slough Shark

Post by Slough Shark » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Haha, it looks like a Beluga whale or something. Very cool!
30 Gallon Livingstone Falls Biotope:
- 4 Steatocranus casuarius

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Emma,

I also have a "Beluga like" clown loach, according to Slough Shark:

Marcos.
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Awww! I don't think he should be sent to the loachy heaven just because he isn't perfect. Some big softie like me will come along and buy him just to give him a good home. If he was unhealthy or sickly, it would be different.

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:38 pm

sorry Tammy, i niether have the room or the sentiment to keep them in one of my tanks.
if a fish losses it's eye but is otherwise fine then it can stay.
i bought some barbs abit back, they were dashing about the tank that much that i accidentally got two deformed fish, they were dispatched as soon as i could catch them.
i only keep fish that are suitable for breeding.

mick

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Yep, looks like a beluga or dolphin to me too.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Wow Marcos, I can't believe you have one too. Have you noticed any personality differences? Does this fish do as well as the others?

Tammy, you are after my own heart. I don't breed fish on purpose, so I am happy to take care of any fish that's healthy and trying. I would certainly take that little guy home, take care of him and study him.

I find it very interesting there are two. Maybe there's a rare natural wild variety.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi starsplitter,

His behavior is like the one Emma told. He is not afraid of me or even bigger fishes. Take a look at this photo:

Can you see him very close to Jack Dempsey´s mouth? :twisted:

Are them retard or something? :roll:
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 pm

I think those fish are just adorable! I don't know enough about fish anatomy to speculate if a pug-nose would cause any problems. Emma, I hope you hang on to the little guy/girl.

On both fish, it looks to me like the eyes are bigger than normal. Is that just an optical illusion because the head is shorter? (get it? optical illusion?) :lol:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Or maybe he's so smart he knows the Cories are bigger and would make a better snack? :) (I don't think a Cory would make a good snack, but maybe he's really, really smart?) Does the Jack Dempsey try to eat the Clowns? I think you posted earlier that he is an easy going fish. But then we know any fish will eat a snack if allowed.

I hope that you are not worried if he isn't bright. I bet he makes a great pet. How long have you had him? I wouldn't mind a clown that wasn't shy. I do have one that is very outgoing and acts like the Cock of the Walk. He's the third smallest, but has the bravado of the biggest fish.