Clown Loach with Velvet and Secondary infection? Help!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

holson03

Clown Loach with Velvet and Secondary infection? Help!

Post by holson03 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi,
I am new to this site. I have a 4 inch clown loach who appears to have Velvet Disease. I have been treating him with Coppersafe as well as Melafix and Pimafix and his condition is still deteriorating. He was first treated for Ick with Malachite Green and his condition rapidly deteriorated. After this, I realized that he did have the Goldish dust and clearly had Velvet and not Ick. So, I did a 60 percent water exchange and began treatment of Velvet with Coppersafe and turned up the temp to 85 in the tank. The directions on the Coppersafe is to continue normal filtration and aereation, so I did not remove the carbon from my filter as Copper tends to kill ALL BACTERIA in the tank, even the good when the charcoal filter is removed. I have also been using Melafix and Pimafix with the Coppersafe as a few of my Angelfish appear to have a secondary fungal infection but show no signs of Velvet. It is the 3rd day of treatment with Coppersafe, Melafix and Pimafix and his tail is rapidly disappearing. I do not know what I should do. I do not have a Hospital tank to put him in. All of my readings per my Master Test kit are perfect. I am not sure what I should do from here.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Here is a pretty complete run down on Velvet.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/h ... tist.shtml
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

holson03

He passed

Post by holson03 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi,
Just letting everyone know that my clown loach passed this morning.
At least he is no longer suffering.
:(

pesosmom61@gmail.com

Re: Clown Loach with Velvet and Secondary infection? Help!

Post by pesosmom61@gmail.com » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:48 am

So sorry about your clown. They are always the first to get everything! And they are, because they do. Such silly things, its easy to get very attached. I have nothing but Loaches and have one in the hospital tank with velvet. I've been treating him with Metroplex. So far I only lost one. The other is looking pretty good, so far. He's swimming and eating. I have 1 yo-yo, 4 golden zebra, 2 horse face/horse head , 1 sumo loach, and one clown left oh. I forgot one botia striata (sp). Don't give up on clowns, they are wonderful.

hollandjose3

Post by hollandjose3 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:31 am

I just happen to stumble on this topic.concrete slab chattanoogaI am suspecting that my fish is suffering the same situation, I don't know what to do. I might bring it to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 am

When a fish develops a secondary infection, it is most often beyond recue.

Secondary infections are not specialized, they are oportunistic. And what does an apportunistic bacerium need? Many, many chances - that is, many offspring. Creating that will certainly kill the host.

Once I had a simitlar problem, and within an hour a fish could go from seemingly OK to dead, floating and smell like it was dead for days. All fish in the tank died.

I would advise taking care:
firstly to keep it froms speading. Materials used for this tank are to be kept for only this tank, and do wash your hands and arms after getting in the water. This is, assuming you have more tanks
secondly, you will want to help the fish in this tank. Change water often, but only with heated water on the right temperature. You will not need to feed, but remove all dead material, dead leaves, and certainly dead fish ,as soon as possible. This might help keep the numbers of infections low. And it will help the fishes immunity.

in a week you can start feeding. Lightly.

I do hope some of your fish survive. If not, I'd keep the tank free of fish for a month, and then all spores of any desease wil lhave died. You can than repopulate the tank.

PrunellaNarcisse

Post by PrunellaNarcisse » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:51 am

Bas Pels wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 am
When a fish develops a secondary infection, it is most often beyond recue.

Secondary infections are not specialized, they are oportunistic. And what does an apportunistic bacerium need? Many, many chances - that is, many offspring. Creating that will certainly kill the host.

Once I had a simitlar problem, and within an hour a fish could go from seemingly OK to dead, floating and smell like it was dead for days. All fish in the tank died.

I would advise taking care:
firstly to keep it froms speading. Materials used for this tank are to be kept for only this tank, and do wash your hands and how to get rid of gyno arms after getting in the water. This is, assuming you have more tanks secondly, you will want to help the fish in this tank. Change water often, but only with heated water on the right temperature. You will not need to feed, but remove all dead material, dead leaves, and certainly dead fish ,as soon as possible. This might help keep the numbers of infections low. And it will help the fishes immunity.

in a week you can start feeding. Lightly.

I do hope some of your fish survive. If not, I'd keep the tank free of fish for a month, and then all spores of any desease wil lhave died. You can than repopulate the tank.
Yes you are right.
I want to share some tips that what should we do when find fish has infection.
Isolate the sick fish. Add antibiotics to the water and use antibiotic-medicated food. Maintain good water quality. Must quarantine the fish with the sign of disease.