Clown Loach Expanding -- Please Help!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Clown Loach Expanding -- Please Help!

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Yesterday I found one of my Clown Loaches in a floating log laying on her side, breathing hard. She looks like she is in labor. She usually hangs out with the rest of the loaches in a stump. She has blown up very quickly. She looked normal last week. Let me know what I can do for her. I don't think she is gravid, because she is fat from just behind the head all the way back. But then I wouldn't know. I have a quarantine tank. Should I quarantine her? Treat her with something? (Please tell me she is gravid, and I have no worries. :) )
Yesterday:
Today: Note she is even bigger.

Thanks. I have never had a gravid fish that I know of, so I have no idea.
Tanja. :)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:06 pm

That don't look good to me.

I'd quarantine the fish, but be sure the quarantine tank has the same water as the main tank before moving the fish. You don't want to put the fish in any acclimation shock at all. After moving the fish do a 20% water change. Then do another 20% water change an hour later.

Don't feed the fish for about 1 week.

If this is constipation, then it's treatable. You can start it on an prolonged espom salt bath. Use 1 teaspoon of epsom salt for every 5 gallons of water. Dissolve the epsom salt in a container and drip the solution into the q-tank over the coarse of a few hours.

Treatment time is 1 week.

Do not do any large water changes during or after the treatment. Do only 20% water changes after the treatment.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:00 pm

So you think she's constipated? I have heard peas help with that. Can I give her a few peas later? In a few days? Cooked and mashed.

How did I do this, and how do I prevent it? I changed 27% of the main tank water yesterday afternoon. The Q-tank is 10 gallons. I can move 10 gallons from her main tank, and move her with it, and take the log she is in too. Where do I buy Epsom Salt, and can you explain what it does to help constipation? Is it absorbed through the skin? Just a little info.

Joe Loach

Advice

Post by Joe Loach » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:19 pm

If this is constipation, then peas would help, yes. I've never had this issue with my fish, but I've been told that you can introduce such after a 24-48 hour fast. I hope this is the case and that the treatment works for you in short order. Best of luck!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:35 pm

I wouldn't feed the fish at all until there is an improvment. If it's not constipation, then it's something worse, and you should not feed it at all.

Epsom salt will be at most grocery stores in the pharmacy isle or in a drug store somewhere. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It is used as constipation remedy, but also used to add hardness to the water. Adding salt minerals to the water may help relieve some of the osmotic pressure on the fish, which may help the fish recover.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:43 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:
The Q-tank is 10 gallons. I can move 10 gallons from her main tank, and move her with it, and take the log she is in too.
That's exacty what you should do.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Thank you so much. I will get to it right away. I have a filter running on anther tank. I will get her moved (Of course, I do not know she is a girl).

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 pm

The eyes look bugged too, I think this could be infection.Anti biotics are in order me thinks. Shari should see this and post soon enough I hope...you may do water changes from your larger tank and aeriate the surface lots,increase O2 to this one. ,What CK said small water changes.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Constipation is usually more localized. This looks more like almost the whole body swelling. The Epsom salt can help with this, too. Check the nitrates in the tanks, and do what is needed to get them as low as possible. Nitrates are not directly toxic, but add to the stress and so can weaken the immune system.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:15 pm

I set up the Q-tank and used water from the main tank. Then used an established filter and turned the heater on. I moved the Clown to this tank. It does not have lights. I have tube in there and the floating log she has been in. I put in a bubbler and I have the water about 2 inches short, so the water splashes into the tank adding a bit more air. It is in my bedroom, so I can watch her. There are fish in the tank next to hers. I will put in epson salt tomorrow. I have to go to the store.

For treatments I have: Levamisole, Flubendazole, BiFuran + (I need to turn it into food), Tetracycline (powder), Penicillin (edible gel) and Ampicillin (edible gel).

Let me know what I should use. I hate to overwhelm her. Could her eyes be bugged because she is so swollen? I just looked at the pictures again, and I just noticed how bugged her eyes are. Poor thing. I have never seen that in my fish. If she is sick, should I treat the tank she came from too? All the other fish look fine, but I just lost another very skinny Clown from that tank two weeks ago. I tried treating with Levamisole and Flubendazole, but it didn't work.

I will not feed her. They were fed last night lightly, but they fasted the day before.

Thanks for all your help. Tanja.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 pm

I found this on thekrib.com for you

Dropsy

Fish swells up like a balloon and may show popeyes. It may recover with no treatment and may die despite it. The swelling is because the fish is absorbing water faster than it can eliminate it, and it can be caused by many different problems. High nitrates are one thing to check. Internal bacterial infections, including fish TB, are other possibilities. If there are no water quality problems, you may want to attempt antibiotic treatment in a separate tank.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Constipation is usually more localized
Agreed

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 pm

So how do I treat for Dropsey.

I cant get accurate readings for nitrate because I have been using Prime. Augh!

I did a 27% yesterday and 18% today in the main tank. All fish look great. No breathing, swelling or any other issues. I will continue the small changes.

I will make a small change to the Q-tank tonight. Then tomorrow. I will buy Epsome Salt tomorrow too. Will that help with Dropsey?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:18 pm

Aqaurium Salt, Do you have any, Treat to full dose on label,add half tonight and the rest in the morn....This is a tough one Tanya,I think the diagnosis is accurate. The lack of scales makes it not as obvious on the loach. You. must reduce the water in the fish. High Nitrates are usually the culprit. Hang in there ,this one is tough.... :cry:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 pm

I have aquarium salt. Will that work like the epsome salt? Should I use the aquarium salt instead of Epsome?

I have "API Aquarium salt" "Natural Fish Tonic" -- "Made from evaporated sea Water"

"Adds essential electrolytes: improves gill function, Promotes disease recovery"

Add 1 rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Should I use this tonight? Dissolve in some aquarium water and then drip into the Q-tank? Since I have 10 gallons, should I do 1 tablesppon tonight and 1 tablespoon tomorrow?