Strange discoloration of Horseface loach....Concerned

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Munkee

Strange discoloration of Horseface loach....Concerned

Post by Munkee » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:59 am

Hi all, as you may know I got a horseface loach about a month ago. He was very skinny and looked rather sad. He is really plumping up now and seemed to be doing very well.

A few days ago I noticed a strange mark or discoloration on him just behind the head on one side. It's been tough to get a photo of but I did my best here. He does not stay still for too long. The spot does not appear to be "fuzzy" nor is it getting bigger. I am wondering if it is just a strange marking that only showed itself as he got larger? Or did one of the B.striata take a good nip at him? at the risk of sounding really daft can a fish have a "birthmark"?

He does not act ill, and takes food with much excitement. He is always sifting and acting normal. I just want to make sure he is ok.

My water parameters are: Ammonia 0, nitrites0, nitrates 15ppm, ph 7

Here is the photo:

"For one to fly you need only take the reins." Author Unknown

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 am

He is looking MUCH better! I remember the first pics of the poor starved guy :-(

A spot like that would worry me. Looks like the beginnings of Flex (Flavobacteria columaris), a bacterial infection that often starts as a small grey-white patch. There are several strains of this bacteria. At least one can kill very fast (Within 24 hours of seeing the first symptom)
This bacteria causes several diseases that are named after wherever they attack the fish: Fin Rot, Mouth 'Fungus', Saddle Disease (tends to start on the dorsal surface) and so on.
Treatment is best in a quarantine tank. This bacteria seems to be sensitive to most antibiotics. It is a gram negative bacteria.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Munkee

Post by Munkee » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately my QT tank is down. Would it be safe to does him with some Ammoxiciline in the regular tank? Nobody else shows sings of illness.

Also I have a UV sterilizer inline with my canister filer on this tank would that have to be turned off?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 am

The UV ought to be turned off; the UV light can break down many of the chemicals that are medicines, though I do not know how much any one specific medicine tolerates it.

If the med you have lists any bacteria diseases then it is likely to help with Flex, if this is what is going on. The concern with treating the main tank is two-fold: Nitrifying bacteria may be compromised or killed (leaving you with an un-cycled tank full of fish) and the other fish ought not be exposed to antibiotics they do not need.
I would start with a couple of water changes to get the nitrates as low as possible (well under 10, and lower is better) and see how the spot is over a day or two.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:07 pm

Hey Munkee, sorry your horsey is under the weather:( I just wanted to second Diana's suggestion not to medicate your whole tank unnecessarily- I've made that decision myself in the past when my q-tank was otherwise occupied, and managed to mess up my bio filters to the point that it took weeks to re-stabilize the tank. Don't do it if you can avoid it in any way!

Hope the little guy is better soon!

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Munkee

Post by Munkee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Well, he is doing great now. It seems he was nipped by one of the B.Striata as I caught the little bully in action yesterday. The strange mark was a nip and he is healing up fine. :D

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:29 pm

I am so glad your horsey is doing better. Yea! :) I adore them.