MY GOLDEN DOJO LOACH HAS A RED SPOT

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mateo3000

MY GOLDEN DOJO LOACH HAS A RED SPOT

Post by mateo3000 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:27 am

My dojo loach currently is very happy is eating , burrowing and being it,s normal self but on its left gill there is a cloudy red spot and it looks like it,s internal.....ANY HELP?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi mateo3000, welcome to Loaches Online.

Could you provide us with a few more details, such as the following:

Your current water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, pH)
Size of tank
How long the tank has been set up for
How long have you had the loach
What other fish are in the tank
Decor (sand/gravel, rocks, bogwood etc)
Frequency of water changes and approximate % changed each time
How often is other maintenance carried out (filter clean, gravel clean)

Also, a picture speaks a thousand words, so if you are able to capture a pic of the affected fish and post here, that may also be of help. The fact that he/she is still eating etc is an ecouraging sign.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mateo3000

my red spot on loach

Post by mateo3000 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:10 pm

I know the image is not very clear but hopefully you could make something of it the spot is like an internal bleeding wound it is now a bit darker and is starting to look like a bruise what i think might have happened is since the fish does not have scales he might have injured himself on one of the shells in my tank anyway all my levels in the aquarium are fine i have a 5gallon aquarium soft white gravel a plastic plant a whisper micro filter and a plastic plant. i change the water 20% weekly and at the begining i had extremely cloudy water can you tell me how to eliminate this in the future but now the water is fine but i do not know how it happenedit lives with 3 guppies an the filter is cleaned when it is visibly dirty and the gravel about every week.also i have had the tank for about a month. and im very sorry but im new with computers and im not sure how to post a picture if you can tell me how i wwill be glad to do so.
Last edited by mateo3000 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:35 am

Ok, in order to post a photo onto the site, you first need to upload it to a photo hosting site such as www.photobucket.com (you have to register, but it's free). Then you copy and paste the 'IMG code' link of the pic into your message on here and the pic should appear.

How is the loach looking today, is the spot any better/worse?

Now for the bad news. A 5 gallon tank is a totally unsuitable environment for weather loaches (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) and the store should not have sold you the loach if they knew it was for a tank of this size. Juveniles really require a tank measuring at least 36" in length, and adults need a tank which is 48" or longer. Every now and then these fish make mad dashes around their tanks and do need a good amount of swimming space. Have a read of our profile on the species for more info: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus This article is more in-depth and may also be of interest: http://www.loaches.com/articles/weather-report

It is pretty difficult to maintain stable conditions in a tank that is so small. The bigger you go, the less likely the conditions will fluctuate and it will be much less stressful for your fish. If you are unable to provide a larger tank for this loach, you must think about rehoming him/her with someone who can provide for its needs. Not sure if you are aware, but this is also a subtropical species which prefer temps slightly under that of the average tropical fish. It would be great if you were able to upgrade to a larger aquarium as these loaches are very friendly and have bags of personality - really fabulous pets. If you can upgrade, you'll need to get this loach a few more friends of the same kind too, as they are incredibly social.

Hope this helps,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 pm

could the tank have been cycling? Do you have the tests for ammonia nitrites and nitrates? I am by no means an expert, but that is my guess... and with a 5 gallon it will be very hard to keep the water nice.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:28 pm

I agree with abaigael04, your tank may not be finished cycling. If you do not have the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate test kit, take it to your Local Fish Store (LFS) and have them test the water for you. Have them write down the numbers, not just tell you it is good. Then post the numbers here.

When you do your water change, rinse the filter in the tank water you have just removed. They last longer this way and it preserves the good bacteria. You still need to change out the filter periodically -- I gage by how gunky the filter is, but don't do it the same time you do a good tank cleaning.

As Emma said a 5 gallon is much too small for a Dojo. These guys can grow to 9", I think, and mine all went from tiny fish to 6" and as thick as my thumb in less than a year. Mine love to hang together. They lounge in the plants and I call them my puppies. They will eat from my fingers and whisker my fingers. I love these fish.

You can get really cheap tanks on craigslist. Keep in mind most of us made this same mistake as a beginner, so don't stress too much. But you will need to upgrade.

Good Luck. :) Post your picture, so you can get that Dojo better. :)