Intro + question on cloudy eyes...

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

David R

Intro + question on cloudy eyes...

Post by David R » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:13 am

I'm a bit bummed that my first post here is of this nature, I've been lurking for a while now but haven't felt the need to post until now...

Firstly, I've been keeping fish for around 10 years and have kept a wide variety of fresh water fish, with about the only exception being discus, they've just never really interested me! I currently have an 80g (120x50x50) and a 45g (90x45x45) and I'm in the process of setting up a 160g (150x70x60). The big tank was supposed to be home to my large datnoid and ornate bichir, and possibly an asian arowana if my bank balance allowed. I've always had a soft spot for clown loaches, and have kept several groups for many years. I currently have 9 around 10-16cm in the 80g and 4 4-6cm in the 45g. I'd always thought about doing a large tank with a big group of loaches, and after reading Emma's article in the May PFK magazine, and talking to my girlfriend (who loves the loaches and isn't so keen on the big dats or expensive arowanas) we've decided to set the 160g up as a loach tank with my current 13 and probably ~20 small ones from the LFS. They'll be living with a selection of south and central american cichlids (heckelii, surinamensis, balzani, sajica and uaru) that are growing out in the 45g and another small tank. I'll post some pictures when I get it all set up...

Anyway, my question/problem. The 80g had some dark red sand as the substrate (an experiment to try to get better colour out of the dat and ornate) which I had gotten tired of. The tank is pretty crowded, but well filtered with a big wet/dry sump and a canister with a UV steriliser, and the sand was hard to siphon and keep clean. So, while doing a large water change last Saturday I siphoned out all the sand, and replaced it with a thin layer of well washed gravel I had from another tank. Tonight I noticed the loaches weren't looking very happy, and a couple looked like they were getting cloudy eyes (one was quite bad and another two were showing signs). I did a quick search and found it could be from bad water, so I tested it. Shit. Nitrate ~20, nitrite ~ 0.25, amonia ~3.0. I've changed the substrate several times in the past year with no problems so I'm not sure what upset it this time. I've done a 40% water change tonight, and I'll do another tomorrow morning.
What I want to know is will the cloudy eyes heal/improve with good water or is the damage likely to be permanent? I've added some salt, the temp is around 26-27C and the pH is around 6.0.
Is there anything else I can do to help with the cloudy eyes, malafix or other meds? I feel so bad that such a stupid mistake as not keeping an eye on the water after changing the substrate could have permanently damaged my loaches. :cry:

Cheers,

David

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 am

Hi David, welcome to Loaches Online.

Where abouts are you based, are you in the UK? The best thing you can do is get over asap to your nearest stockist of Soll 'Bactinettes' (Maidenhead Aquatics will be your best bet, but ring before you travel to check they have it in stock). It will be kept in the fridge, you may need a couple of pots if the tank is quite large. Unlike some of the other bacterial helper products on the market, this product is most definitely not a gimmick and it really does work. Here is a link: http://www.soelltec.de/gb/products/prod ... es&k=1&l=2 Bactinettes will break down all the ammonia and nitrite very very quickly and is better than adding chemicals such as Ammo-lock. I personally would not have added any salt to the tank. You should also increase the aeration in the tank to make the fish feel more comfortable.

Good luck, I hope this helps. I am glad that my article has inspired you to set up a dedicated tank for your clowns. :D

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

David R

Post by David R » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi Emma.
Oops, I forgot to put my location in my profile! Never heard of Bactinettes, but I'll go to the LFS today to see if I can find anything similar.
The ammonia is about half what it was last night and the nitrites are also lower. I've done another 30% water change this morning.

The loaches seem happier this morning, and I'm sure the eyes are less cloudy on the worst affected one. Fingers crossed....

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:44 am

Hi David,

Did you have any luck? What are the levels on now? Hopefully it is all settling down a bit. If you can't find the Soll Bactinettes (I am not sure if it is sold in NZ) then maybe you can find Seachem Prime which others on here swear by in times of emergency.

How are the loaches doing? Any improvement with the eyes? Sometimes, if it is noticed early, and water quality is bought back to tip-top standards and kept that way, cloudy eyes can improve. Keep us updated on how things are.

Best wishes,

Emma

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:06 pm

Best of luck, David. I am one of the recent converts to Prime, and it has done a world of good for my tanks. I love it. Doesn't have bacteria, but keeps the Ammonia, chlorine. chloramine, Nitrites and Nitrates reduced or it detoxifies them. Since I started using it, my tanks stay much more stable. And I seldom run into problems after water changes.

It sounds like when you changed the substrate you radically reduced the good bacteria, but I think you know that.

I hope your fish are improving. When their stress is reduced, could you post a couple pictures?

David R

Post by David R » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:27 pm

The fish are already looking better, and with out the addition of chemicals too! I did a 30% water change yesterday morning (as mentioned in my last post) followed by about 15% mid afternoon and another 15% at 10pm last night. I've also reduced the amount of food going into the tank. This morning the nitrites and ammonia are almost undetectable, and the nitrates are around 10ppm.

I couldn't make it to the shop yesterday as my other half had the car all day and is busy studying for her final exam before becoming a chartered accountant, and she wouldn't have been impressed at being interrupted to go across town to the LFS!! :lol:

I'll keep up the 15% changes twice daily until everything is back to normal.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:38 pm

It really sounds like you have your near disaster under control, and I bet your fish are bouncing back nicely. :) Yea.

I had a bunch of problems a while back, and went out and bought supplies for future emergencies: extra heater, filter, antibiotics, anti parasitic. . . hopefully I will need to never use them.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Glad to hear things are improving David, sounds like you got there in the nick of time. You can also get those little Ammonia Alert indicators which you stick on the inside glass of the aquarium and they change colour if a problem occurs.

Emma