Alternative for Levamisole and praziquantel

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ckk125

Alternative for Levamisole and praziquantel

Post by ckk125 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 pm

Hello all

Recently my clowns had skinny problem again..and the usual medications which i used last time(azoo antiendoparasites), couldnt be found.

I went to the pharmacy and got myself albendazole.Anyone here used it before?

I also went to the vet and found praziquantel, but it is not in pure form.it is added with a few more ingredients.

Any comments?anyone used albendazole and knows the dosage?

Thanks..
Chen

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:06 am

I have no idea what the dosage would be for Albendazole or how to administer it,

What are the other ingredients found with the prazi?

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi Chen, From what I have read Albendazole is virtually insoluble in water so might not be the best way of treatment - it could be used if dosed in food.
It is used on humans and they have found it is absorbed into the blood fourfold if dose is given with a fatty meal. It is used against Nematodes not Cestodes or Trematodes. They also mention it is sometimes used with Praziquantel. Overall it might not be the best treatment to use given its insolubility in water. Keep looking for Levamisole or Fenbendazole. Cheers Graeme.
PS- I am just planning a holiday to Malaya in May 09 driving from KL down to Singapore for Aquarama 09 then 1 week in Kota Kinabalu/Sabah then drive from Singapore up to Penang for 1 week. I lived in Penang for 2 years back in 1957-9 when my father was there fighting and look forward to returning.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 am

If Albendazole is like Mebendazole, then according to a book I have, it needs to be dissolved in some alcohol.