Depressed Krib

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bizbomb

Depressed Krib

Post by bizbomb » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 pm

I have had a pair of kribensis for just over 2 months. The store I bought them from had kept them in a tank with just the 2 of them and said that they had bred in there. I keep them in my 140 gallon tank that is 6' long. The other inhabitants include tiger barbs, bichirs, clown loaches, bosemani rainbows, platys, a red tail black shark as well as some various shrimp. The kribs were always very close and happy with each other. Following each other around the tank. The female would shake her body in front of the male. He dug her a hole under a piece of wood and they were both red in the belly and looking like they were going to lay eggs. They would also sleep in this hole at night. As of about a week ago everything has changed. They no longer go in the cave he dug, their bellies, are colourless and they don't hang out anymore. The male is still acting normal and swimming around and eating however the female is not. She just hovers in various spot in the aquarium around mid level. She has also lost almost all of her appetite and will only pick at a blood worm or 2 occasionally. She mainly keep her fins pressed against her body as well. Also the male krib also chases her whenever they come in contact. She is starting to look skinny and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to cheer her up. She is acting like she got into a fight with her boyfriend. The chasing is only occasional so I am sure it is not over stressing her. She shows no physical sign of illness, no fast breathing and all of my water parameters are normal. I hadn't introduced anything new into the tank that coincides with her apparent depression. Anyone seen anything like this or have any suggestions? I am getting quite nervous.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:53 pm

she's probably sick. If you can take her out and put her in a smaller aquarium. Keep an eye out for other symptoms. She might have internal parasites.